[Beta] Thundering Performance Shipwrights (DTU)

Thundercraft

I've been hard at work designing ships. And, since I've been playing the beta branch, this is what my new ships have been designed for. Due to the changes, I had to redesign a few. But all of these take advantage of Directional Thrusters on leverage arms.

Thus far, all of my ships have been designed for performance - high Pitch and Yaw in particular. Also, most of my ships are designed to have the option to carry cargo. They have respectable maneuverability even when carrying cargo. And they're designed for room to add on one or two Cargo Containers. (See my ship parts catalog topic.) For ease of use, I've included separate versions with the cargo containers (or cargo bay) already added.

So far, the only exception would be my "Cutter" class, which is strictly a cheap scout or exploration vessel.

The classification system that I use is mostly explained by this post in the "Ship class" topic. Following the name is a two-letter abbreviation for the main material(s), followed by a number which indicates the number of module slots (to indicate size). In addition, my later designs also have "gW" with a number to indicate how many Gigawatts it generates, followed by "cargo" and a number (if it has any cargo space).

I choose to design for performance. And I think the stats speak for themselves.

Note 1: Most of my ships use 'Void Tech' engines and thrusters. Many of them also use void tech generators, capacitors and/or shields. (See the Scytales Laboratories topic for details.) The exceptions would be my later ships: Trilen, Trilenos, and Azugalenos, which don't use Void Tech.

Note 2: All my ships have all blocks protected by IFGs.

Note 3: So far, my only ships that come with shields are the Azugalenos, the Trilen, and certain versions of the Monitor. However, it should be possible to add a shield generator to many of them as many have some room to spare (usually with dull, colorless framework placeholders).

Note 4: After learning the hard way, I usually to keep my core block buried deep inside.

Cutter class iron starter/scout

As I said, my "Cutter" class is designed to be a cheap starter exploration vessel, made mostly of iron. The first version ended up being much larger than I had intended. I renamed this "Cutter XL". Then I used tip #6 in Tips for ship building to resize this ship, making a version of the Cutter exactly 1/8'th the size (1/2 in X, Y, and Z) of the XL.

Thu_Cutter_back.jpg

Thu_Cutter_front.jpg

Stats for the tiny Cutter:

Thu_Cutter_Ir_1_stats.png

Credits: 572

Iron: 621

Titanium: 98

Stats for the larger Cutter:

Thu_Cutter_XL_Ir_2_stats.png

Credits: 1980

Iron: 1228

Titanium: 37

Thu_Cutter.zip

Needletail Mk V class starter/small freighter

The Needletail was my early attempt at thruster arms to increase Yaw and Pitch. But instead of doing a classic cross shape - which tends to obscure the top of the ship and thus our view from a 1'st person perspective - I wanted to do three nacelles that are more-or-less evenly spaced. This is difficult to design because the blocks in Avorion are cubic. Attempting a truly triagular (three-sided) shape is a challenge.

(Trivia: The white-throated needletail is the fastest level flying bird. Aside for being designed for speed, it got the name for the needle-like antenna in the back.)

My first versions used Regular Thrusters:

Thun_Needletail_I_a_Ir_2_Mining.jpg

When the thruster changes happened, I did a few major redesigns. Current "V" version:

Sans cargo:

Thu_Needletail_V_Ir_2_back.jpg Thu_Needletail_V_Ir_2_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Needletail_V_Ir_2_stats.png

Credits: 3271

Iron: 1398

Titanium: 105

With the 336 unit cargo container:

Thu_Needletail_V_Ir_2_cargo_336_back.jpg Thu_Needletail_V_Ir_2_cargo_336_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Needletail_V_Ir_2_cargo_336_stats.png

Credits: 8470

Iron: 3433

Titanium: 142

Thu_Needletail_V_Ir-2.zip

Predator I & II class early-game multi-role

After designing the Needletail and Locus classes, I learned a few things about thruster placement and the value of Directional Thrusters on long leverage arms. The Predator class was the culmination of my experiments. (As one may guess, it's named for the Predator drone, which it sort of resembles.)

Some of you are probably thinking that thrusters on leverage arms is a weak point that can be exploited. It depends on how you design it. For ships that may see combat, like the Predator, my leverage arms consist of no more than four blocks - two if I can manage. And I place these in such a way that at least two neighboring blocks would need to be destroyed before it would break off.

In the case of this Predator class, each Nacelle is connected to the main body by 4 blocks, each with about 15 HP. However, because of the IFGs, each of those 4 blocks can take 10 times the damage or 150 HP. And all four would have to be destroyed, which amounts to about 600 HP. With the whole ship having 863 HP, each arm can take about 70% of the damage of the ship.

Predator Mk I class:

Thu_Predator_I_Ir_3_back.jpg Thu_Predator_I_Ir_3_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Predator_I_Ir_3_stats.png

Credits: 15493

Iron: 2004

Titanium: 1369

Predator Mk II class:

Thu_Predator_II_Ir_3_back.jpg Thu_Predator_II_Ir_3_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Predator_II_Ir_3_stats.png

Credits: 15497

Iron: 1934

Titanium: 1441

You can see from the stats that the Predator II has better Yaw and Pitch than the Predator I. Though, the only major change was the side thruster arms were relocated from the back to the middle. This demonstrates how - at least with Directional Thrusters - placing thruster arms near the middle is best. I would move the bottom thruster arm to the middle, too, except that would interfere with adding a cargo container. Also, it looks better this way.

(For more about thruster effectiveness and placement, see my Thruster Nacelles & Leverage Arms post. Click the spoiler tags to read about it. Also, there is my rant in "The Cube Meta" topic.)

Thu_Predator.zip

Caravel class starter/small freighter

A recent attempt to modify the Needletail to further improve performance and cost ended up being a near complete redesign. The only thing that was borrowed were the nacelles. Taking what was learned from the Predator class, the Caravel class (sci-fi vernacular for a small, speedy freighter) has the thruster arms and nacelles in the middle, for higher thrust and cost efficency. And directional thrusters are pointed up/down in the nose and tail for Pitch, which eliminates the need for an upper and/or lower thruster arm, saving significant weight.

Being mostly iron, this is another starter ship. But it seems to work pretty well for an early, small freighter. Though more fragile than the Predator series, it's also much cheaper. As usual, the whole ship is protected by IFGs. And like the Predator, the thruster arms can take considerable punishment. This isn't designed for combat, though. The whole thing is covered in iron solar panels for cheap energy.

Sans cargo:

Thu_Caravel_Ir_2_back.jpg Thu_Caravel_Ir_2_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Caravel_Ir_2_stats.png

Credits: 3987

Iron: 796

Titanium: 209

With the 74 unit cargo container:

Thu_Caravel_Ir_3_cargo_74_back.jpg Thu_Caravel_Ir_3_cargo_74_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Caravel_Ir_3_cargo_74_stats.png

Credits: 5735

Iron: 1500

Titanium: 218

With the 336 unit cargo container:

Thu_Caravel_Ir_3_cargo_336_back.jpg Thu_Caravel_Ir_3_cargo_336_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Caravel_Ir_3_cargo_336_stats.png

Credits: 9186

Iron: 2830

Titanium: 247

Thu_Caravel.zip

Monitor class mid-game multi-role

I've been using the Monitor class quite a lot. It handles well, even with a cargo container. I used what I learned from earlier designs. The thruster arms are tough. With IFG protection, it would require about 750 HP in focused damage to sheer a nacelle off. And versions with shields can take quite a bit of punishment. Like the Caravel class, it has thrusters in the nose and tail to save weight, yet give good Pitch.

Monitor Ti-3:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_3_back.jpg Thu_Monitor_Ti_3_front.jpg

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-3 gW 1.6.xml:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_3_g_W_1_6_stats.png

Credits: 11583

Iron: 1020

Titanium: 1693

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-Na-3 gW 5.7.xml:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_Na_3_g_W_5_7_stats.png

Credits: 52984

Iron: 364

Titanium: 4966

Naonite: 986

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-Na-3 gW 9.6.xml:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_Na_3_g_W_9_6_stats.png

Credits: 81191

Titanium: 7320

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-Tr-3 gW 9.6.xml:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_Tr_3_g_W_9_6_stats.png

Credits: 91181

Iron: 384

Titanium: 7313

Trinium: 1707

Monitor Ti-4 cargo 176:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_cargo_176_back.jpg Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_cargo_176_front.jpg

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-Na-4 gW 5.9 cargo 176.xml:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_Na_4_g_W_5_9_cargo_176_stats.png

Credits: 56223

Iron: 1658

Titanium: 4981

Monitor Ti-4 cargo 336:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_cargo_336_back.jpg Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_cargo_336_front.jpg

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-4 gW 9.6 cargo 336.xml:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_g_W_9_6_cargo_336_stats.png

Credits: 76213

Iron: 207

Titanium: 9308

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-Na-4 gW 5.9 cargo 336.xml (w/shields):

Thu_Monitor_Ti_Na_4_g_W_5_9_cargo_336_stats.png

Credits: 59988

Titanium: 7095

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-Na-4 gW 9.6 cargo 336.xml (w/shields):

Thu_Monitor_Ti_Na_4_g_W_9_8_cargo_336_stats.png

Credits: 88194

Titanium: 9449

Monitor Ti-4 cargo 876:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_cargo_876_back.jpg Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_cargo_876_front.jpg

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-4 gW 1.9 cargo 876.xml:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_g_W_1_9_cargo_876_stats.png

Credits: 26747

Iron: 208

Titanium: 7118

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-4 gW 9.7 cargo 876.xml:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_g_W_9_7_cargo_876_stats.png

Credits: 83787

Iron: 208

Titanium: 11792

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-Na-4 gW 9.9 cargo 876.xml (w/shields):

Thu_Monitor_Ti_Na_4_g_W_9_9_cargo_876_stats.png

Credits: 95765

Iron: 370

Titanium: 11928

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-Tr-4 gW 9.9 cargo 876.xml (w/shields):

Thu_Monitor_Ti_Tr_4_g_W_9_9_cargo_876_stats.png

Credits: 105755

Iron: 390

Titanium: 11920

Naonite: 1707

Monitor Ti-4 cargo 1752:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_g_W_1_9_cargo_1752_back.jpg Thu_Monitor_Ti_4_g_W_1_9_cargo_1752_front.jpg

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-5 gW 2.1 cargo 1752.xml:

Thu_Monitor_Ti_5_g_W_2_1_cargo_1752_stats.png

Credits: 38550

Iron: 3797

Titanium: 8143

Stats and Cost for Thu_Monitor Ti-Tr-5 gW 10.1 cargo 1752.xml (w/shields):

Thu_Monitor_Ti_Tr_5_g_W_10_1_cargo_1752_stats.png

Credits: 117558

Iron: 3978

Titanium: 12945

Trinium: 1707

Download: Thu_Monitor.zip

Tetralenos class medium freighter

Next, I wanted to design a rather big freighter. And I wanted to take maximum advantage of the weird way in which Cargo Bays scale. Single, big Cargo Bays are insanely more effective than many smaller ones. (E.g.: Despite being the same volume, building a single 10x10x10 Cargo Bay is 685% more efficient than building 1000 1x1x1 Cargo Bays. I'm not exaggerating. :()

So, I planned for a really big cube as my Cargo Bay and literally built a ship around it.

(Trivia: Tetralenos should translate to "four-armed". Tetra is Greek for four and Lenos is Greek for Arms.)

Thu_Tetralenos Ir-6 gW 18.7.xml (Iron version, sans cargo):

Thu_Tetralenos_Ir_6_back.jpg Thu_Tetralenos_Ir_6_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Tetralenos_Ir_6_stats.png

Credits: 215814

Iron: 28064

Titanium: 12044

Thu_Tetralenos Ir-6 gW 18.7 cargo 8.1 k.xml (Iron version with 8100 unit Cargo Bay):

Thu_Tetralenos_Ir_6_cargo_8_1_k_back.jpg Thu_Tetralenos_Ir_6_cargo_8_1_k_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Tetralenos_Ir_6_cargo_8_1_k_stats.png

Credits: 277814

Iron: 60464

Titanium: 12044

Thu_Tetralenos Ti-7 gW 19.xml (Titanium version, sans cargo):

Thu_Tetralenos_Ti_7_g_W_19_back.jpg Thu_Tetralenos_Ti_7_g_W_19_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Tetralenos_Ti_7_g_W_19_stats.png

Credits: 227781

Iron: 277

Titanium: 39830

Thu_Tetralenos Ti-7 gW 19 cargo 8.1 k.xml (Titanium version with 8100 unit Iron Cargo Bay):

Thu_Tetralenos_Ti_7_g_W_19_cargo_8_1_k_back.jpg Thu_Tetralenos_Ti_7_g_W_19_cargo_8_1_k_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Tetralenos_Ti_7_g_W_19_cargo_8_1_k_stats.png

Credits: 299782

Iron: 32677

Titanium: 39830

Do note that this is another cross design, taking advantage of Directional Thrusters on long leverage arms. The bulk of the ship's mass is going to be near the center of the huge Cargo Bay, which helps thruster arm effectiveness. Though, I loose some effectiveness due to how much mass I added around my thrusters. It would work better with less protection around the thrusters and thinner leverage arms. It would also work better if my Cargo Bay was made of anything other than Iron, or if the ship was built from Naonite or better.

Download: Thu_Tetralenos.zip

Trilen & Trilenos class medium freighters

As I've been playing multiplayer lately, I wondered if my use of void tech would be frowned upon as cheating. (Though, in fairness, NPC ships regularly overlap their blocks in a similar fashion.)

So, I endeavored to modify the Tetralenos to get rid of the void tech. Replacing the void tech engines was a snap. But, I had to completely remake the nacelles because of the size difference. With those void tech thrusters, the ship got five times the directional thrust as normal. Without that, I had to make the nacelles about five times larger!

Interestingly, in the process of remaking the nacelles, I discovered that the ship would actually have better performance with only three nacelles instead of four. (It was too much mass far from the center of mass.) So, I left the top one off for a better view of where the ship is going and what's in front.

Thu_Trilenos Ti-7 gW 38.2.xml:

Thu_Trilenos_Ti_7_g_W_38_2_back.jpg Thu_Trilenos_Ti_7_g_W_38_2_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Trilenos_Ti_7_g_W_38_2_stats.png

Credits: 286729

Iron: 7969

Titanium: 41657

Further experiments showed that my long thruster arms were just too long. Even down to three, they contributed too much mass. It negated the extra thruster efficiency.

So, I created a separate version with short thruster arms. This really improved performance and even saved some in cost and materials.

Then, as I felt that I might be using this a lot, I added about 30000 HP in shields. That jacked the price way up.

Thu_Trilen Ti-Tr-7 gW 53.5.xml (with shields, sans cargo):

Thu_Trilen_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_53_5_back.jpg Thu_Trilen_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_53_5_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Trilen_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_53_5_stats.png

Credits: 630448

Iron: 1779

Titanium: 61935

Trinium: 12801

Thu_Trilen Ti-Tr-7 gW 53.5 cargo 8.1 k.xml (with shields and 8100 unit Iron Cargo Bay):

Thu_Trilen_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_53_5_cargo_8_1_k_back.jpg Thu_Trilen_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_53_5_cargo_8_1_k_front.jpg

[spoiler=Stats and Cost]Thu_Trilen_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_53_5_cargo_8_1_k_stats.png

Credits: 640700

Iron: 1779

Titanium: 87087

The original, long-armed version I named "Trilenos" or "three-armed". And the final version with three short arms I named "Trilen" - a shorthand version of "Trilenos."

Trilen download: Thu_Trilen Ti-Tr-7 gW 53.5.zip

(Attachment below is for Trilenos.)

Thu_Trilenos_Ti-7_gW_38.2.xml.zip

Azugalenos class medium freighter

I was surprised to learn that the Trilenos had better performance with three arm instead of four. As an experiment, I wanted to see if Trilen might end up with even better performance with only two arms - one horizontal and one vertical. So, I created this:

Thu_Azugalenos_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_54_7_back.jpg Thu_Azugalenos_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_54_7_front.jpg

Stats and Cost for Thu_Azugalenos Ti-Tr-6 gW 54.7.xml (with shields, sans cargo):

Thu_Azugalenos_Ti_Tr_6_g_W_54_7_stats.png

Credits: 560341

Iron: 1259

Titanium: 50997

Thu_Azugalenos_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_54_7_cargo_8_1_k_back.jpg Thu_Azugalenos_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_54_7_cargo_8_1_k_front.jpg

Stats and Cost for Thu_Azugalenos Ti-Tr-7 gW 54.7 car-Ir 8.1 k.xml (with shields & 8100 unit Iron Cargo Bay):

Thu_Azugalenos_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_54_7_car_Ir_8_1_k_stat.png

Credits: 632341

Iron: 33658

Titanium: 50997

Stats and Cost for Thu_Azugalenos Ti-Tr-7 gW 54.7 car-Ti 8.1 k.xml (with shields & 8100 unit Titanium Cargo Bay):

Thu_Azugalenos_Ti_Tr_7_g_W_54_7_car_Ti_8_1_k_stat.png

Credits: 657542

Iron: 1259

Titanium: 83397

The odd-armed Azugalenos does have markedly better performance without a cargo bay. However, with the same 8100 unit Iron cargo bay, the Trilen has somewhat better stats. Interestingly, though, the Azugalenos requires nearly 5 GW less energy (and produces slightly more). Combined with how it reqires 19 less crew, this makes it ideal to use with the Extra Crew Workforce System Moduls mod. It's also has better Roll and is slightly cheaper.

Despite the slightly worse stats when hauling cargo, I've decided on the Azugalenos as my go-to freighter ship. The server where I play has the Extra Crew mod and I have the modules on hand.

(Trivia: I think Azugalenos translates to non-paired arms. Lenos is Greek for arms. And ázuga is Greek for 'non-pairs' or 'odd'.)

Thu_Azugalenos_Ti-Tr-6_gW_54.7.xml.zip

Thu_Azugalenos_Ti-Tr-7_gW_54.7_car-Ir_8.1_k.xml.zip

Thu_Azugalenos_Ti-Tr-7_gW_54.7_car-Ti_8.1_k.xml.zip

Might I suggest use of the "spoiler" function to organize the designs a little bit more?

The stats and costs are now behind spoiler tags. Those were taking up far too much space and detracting from everything else.

For some reason, when I apply the either cutter blueprint the stats show zero breaking thrust yet your stats show there is breaking thrust...

Actually... .Now that I'm looking through the rest of them, none of them are showing any breaking thrust when I apply the plans... o.O

Sorry they don't work for you.

I'm playing the latest beta branch, which is currently v0.10.5 r7633. I suspect that you are not as that would explain this difference. As I explained in my OP, all of these use Directional Thrusters which, AFAIK, are still restricted to the beta branch.

Perhaps I should have made this more clear? But I did prefix my topic with [beta] and ended it with (DTU) to indicate that these are Directional Thrusters Upgraded.