Blown up from an Asteroid

Maxumous

Just a note for Dev team, I think the mistake of ramming into Asteroids and stations is a no go situation.

When a person spends hours building a ship then finding out you are moving to quick and cant brake in time on a collision course to hit an asteroid, which in turn then totally blitz your many many hours of game-play to a mere mistake, can take some to say," I cant be bothered with this ".

And then move over to play another game.

You got to make the ships bounce with shields ;)

But keep up with the good work.

Neil ' Maxumous ' Short

I dont want to post a rude "git gud" reply here, so if it seems i have, sorry.

1. dont go fast toward asteroids or stations.

-or-

dont go directly at asteroids or stations if you are going fast. aim to one side a little bit so if you overshoot you dont hit it.

2. Have better lateral thrust. a few taps on lateral thrust can nudge your vector by the few degrees you need to turn a collision into a miss.

3. Use Integrity fields. these increase a blocks HP ten fold. so a 10 hp tiny block will have 100hp instead.

4. dont use tiny blocks. a block is destroyed when it runs out of hp. hp is based on block volume as well as base stats, so a 0.1x0.1x0.1 block of trinium armor is far easier to destroy than a 10x10x1 girder frame block. detail looks good, but see if you can merge some blocks together, or extend them deeper inside your ship to get more hp per block, making them harder to destroy.

i use a combination of these. i have 100m/s/s lateral thrust to the sides as well as up/down. i routinely traverse asteroid fields at 1km/s speeds, using lateral thrust to dodge (the optional prograde marker is extremely usefull in this situation). my forward most block is a 33x33x1.5 block of trinium armour thats backed up by integrity fields. ive bounced off asteroids at 500m/s in fights without blocks being destroyed. half of the solution is changing your piloting habits, the other half is engineering your ship to support manoeuvrability and the possibility of occasionally tanking a hit.

I personally play at 0.25 and haven't ever had a ship blown up. Learning to aim matters :)

Also don't forget brakethrust is actually important.

Having a health slab of armour on the front of your ship helps quite a bit as well. And not going full speed at something that doesn't move.

A further tip: You can rebuild the exact same ship with the "Apply Plan" function from Saved Ships in your building screen.

Learning to aim matters :)

That dose not matter one bit when a you are parked at a station and a cargo ship rams you full bore. Or when some one scans your cargo ship forcing your ship to turn and aim at him and in the process ripping your front end off cause its smacks an asteroid or a space station.

OH ya and my favorite you jump into a sector to instantly collide with another player blowing both ships to tiny bits.

Just to let you know all that in previous experience in Space games. You just don't get blown up from an asteroid instantly with Shields, Shields take damage.

How ever if the shields are drained then you more likely then to be blown up.

I'm not thinking about myself, I thinking about Gamers Here !

I think the option would be wise, but more gaming realistic is that shields take a damage and not one of hit to destroy your ship.

You can turn off collision when creating a new Galaxy, or edit the server.ini from your Galaxy and set CollisionDamage=0, but learning how to avoid collisions is more interesting ???

Yes agreed, turning off collision wouldn't be any learning curve, how ever collision damage should be taken away from shields and not instant death,( What is the fun in that ), you got to think about new players to this type of game. First we not all smart like Captain Kirk, There are new, not sure what to do players, starting to play the game.

Just to let you know all that in previous experience in Space games. You just don't get blown up from an asteroid instantly with Shields, Shields take damage.

How ever if the shields are drained then you more likely then to be blown up.

I'm not thinking about myself, I thinking about Gamers Here !

I think the option would be wise, but more gaming realistic is that shields take a damage and not one of hit to destroy your ship.

Ok, at Avorion universe the energy shield can absorb energy and projectil damage. But thats not been at any other universe. Serveral shield structures can absorbe only a special kind of damage not all. But thats a different thing.

Even the smallest asteroid is more then 1000 bigger then any chaingun projectil, and when the ship is well constructed nearly at the speed of a chaingun proj. Then it doesn't matter if the shield would absorb the damage before, there is still enough damage potential left to destroy the ship.

And noone prevent you to add a second materia shield at front of your ship.

Hmm... i dont think i can agree with this, making collisions go on shields first would make them even stronger than they are alrdy, and render obsolete Armor- and Stoneblocks...

And for Learning Curve and new players, look at it this way: If you dont destroy your ship with such an action, how will a new player learn that it IS NOT a good idea to fly through a roidfield with 1k+ m/s... Learning by burning i say!

Lots of good hints!

Pretty much this!

I've been killed a couple of times by asteroids and once by a station, it was a very foggy sector and the station had a long thin aerial/spike sticking out that I didn't see.

the one thing in common with all these deaths was the space bar, it only ever happens when I'm boosting and hit something when going too fast, if I'm not boosting and hit something I'll take some damage but never kill myself.

When watching let's plays I've noticed people seem to use the boost way too much/for too long, this might be part of let's plays, people wanting to cut down on boring travel time to keep the video more interesting.

My tip is to use the boost only in short bursts, keep it to 1-2 seconds only, use it to accelerate up to the normal top speed quickly and to quickly get out of weapon range between you and an enemy but rely on your normal engine to put distance between you.

If you're in an asteroid field never boost unless you have a clear path and are not drifting.

To be honest I actually like it. I actually play on full collision damage but this is mostly due to still playing in the first galaxy I created. I have lost 3 ships so far to collision 2 of them were with an asteroid and one with a wreckage. And althoe it's stupid I love the thrill off boosting through an asteroid belt at ~1500 m/s just for the challenge... a tip I can give you on evading them is to turn your ship into any semi asteroid free direction and fire the afterburner. It won't stop you but throw you of the trajectory towards the asteroids faster than any lateral thruster could ever do.

What I dislike about the mechanic is it seems to be based on your ships HP not on the blocks integrity. Always when I revisited the crash sites the ships seems to be completely intact (except for a few antennas and such) I would prefers it when the damage would be delivered to the contact block until it blows up and than travels to the next and than to the next and next. Or is it already implemented like this and my galaxy is simply bugged?

I've been killed a couple of times by asteroids and once by a station, it was a very foggy sector and the station had a long thin aerial/spike sticking out that I didn't see.

the one thing in common with all these deaths was the space bar, it only ever happens when I'm boosting and hit something when going too fast, if I'm not boosting and hit something I'll take some damage but never kill myself.

When watching let's plays I've noticed people seem to use the boost way too much/for too long, this might be part of let's plays, people wanting to cut down on boring travel time to keep the video more interesting.

My tip is to use the boost only in short bursts, keep it to 1-2 seconds only, use it to accelerate up to the normal top speed quickly and to quickly get out of weapon range between you and an enemy but rely on your normal engine to put distance between you.

If you're in an asteroid field never boost unless you have a clear path and are not drifting.

What this man, woman, weird muppet creature said!

If you want to compare it to real life, if you're traveling at 1km/sec (that's 3600km/h or for our weird friends something like 2100 miles per hour at a guess), hitting a marble is going to destroy most of your ship, let alone an asteroid..

...First we not all smart like Captain Kirk, There are new, not sure what to do players, starting to play the game.

I don't think you have to possess "Kirk" level intelligence to realize you shouldn't just haul butt region through space towards the really big rocks or stations.

I also don't think the game should be changed because people don't consider the following:

WARNING: OBJECTS AHEAD OF YOU MAY BE MORE SOLID THAN THEY APPEAR

Even though we're in space, these concepts aren't rocket science.

Pob put it well. Boosting for too long, boosting without clear line of sight; it just isn't a good idea. That and accidental deaths can be reduced with slower speed around solid objects.

Armor. Seriously, armor is your friend. When I get collision damage, 9 out of 10 times I'm replacing armor plate, not my whole ship.

Also, 0.25 damage when creating your galaxy is a nice compromise. You get to feel a little pain repairing damage but you don't instantly go poof when the AI use your ship as an emergency brake (break) to dock at a station.

What really needs to change is the documentation so players know they can actually change the values and what the values mean. I don't think this is even an issue if players know they don't have to suffer through this kind of game play if they don't want to by changing a setting or editing a single file.

Cheers..!

...First we not all smart like Captain Kirk, There are new, not sure what to do players, starting to play the game.

I don't think you have to possess "Kirk" level intelligence to realize you shouldn't just haul butt region through space towards the really big rocks or stations.

I also don't think the game should be changed because people don't consider the following:

WARNING: OBJECTS AHEAD OF YOU MAY BE MORE SOLID THAN THEY APPEAR

Even though we're in space, these concepts aren't rocket science.

Pob put it well. Boosting for too long, boosting without clear line of sight; it just isn't a good idea. That and accidental deaths can be reduced with slower speed around solid objects.

Armor. Seriously, armor is your friend. When I get collision damage, 9 out of 10 times I'm replacing armor plate, not my whole ship.

Also, 0.25 damage when creating your galaxy is a nice compromise. You get to feel a little pain repairing damage but you don't instantly go poof when the AI use your ship as an emergency brake (break) to dock at a station.

What really needs to change is the documentation so players know they can actually change the values and what the values mean. I don't think this is even an issue if players know they don't have to suffer through this kind of game play if they don't want to by changing a setting or editing a single file.

Cheers..!

sorry I think this is just your opinion of yourself and not considering others. No space game that run into asteroids blows your ship up instantly if you traveling to fast and haven't got time to slow down. unless you got a very huge ship which creates less damage. every game I played since 80s, hitting anything effects shields.

sorry I think this is just your opinion of yourself and not considering others. No space game that run into asteroids blows your ship up instantly if you traveling to fast and haven't got time to slow down. unless you got a very huge ship which creates less damage. every game I played since 80s, hitting anything effects shields.

^^ You didn't play Star Trek Online? Ramming-Speed is just one of the fun-abilities in that game. Well, it doesn't help much to crash a Miranda into a tactical Borg Cube, but you could maybe imagine the result of doing that :)

^^ You didn't play Star Trek Online? Ramming-Speed is just one of the fun-abilities in that game. Well, it doesn't help much to crash a Miranda into a tactical Borg Cube, but you could maybe imagine the result of doing that :)

I could only imagine a suicide with a smile. Unfortunately doesn't work to well with an asteroid and there is no fun in that.  :o

With all the goodies hidden inside asteroid fields, impact damage is definitely the challenge.

It is there for the reason. You need a challenge. It is always pilot error. Shields do not absorb damage from impact. That's life and why armor was put in the game.

It's also the reason why my current ship is named "Learn2Fly"

Basically, Git Gud for space

with impact damage, its total annihilator of your fun. Better max difficity than this.

Oh it is fun ;D if you know that a wrong step could kill you, flying through an asteroid field is a blast!

Also as Maxumous already said: Rooks are pretty solid and would just a oblate your shields if you would compare it to a cannon shot and scale it up to similar mass/size/speed I assume that projectile would kill you aswell in one shot.

Another thing that would bother me if collision damage would transfer to shields first is that in combat when colliding with a wreckage/ asteroid it would reduce my shields which I already need to protect the soft parts (covering the whole ship in amor never was a thing for me  :P). and considering the amount of damage the collisions do on 100% I prefer to reduce my hull to 30-50% and still having my shields up instead of loosing those and than take true damage.

That is also the thing for me with ramming speed: killing an enemy fast without loosing my shields. shield ramming would make this atleast for me useless. an alternative would be a ramming deflector (similar to rebel Galaxy) as a function block... maybe Xanium tied? that you can activate but it will eat up your energy pretty fast and also only absorbe damage as long as the energy storage has enough energy left to negate the hit. The size of the block could affect if the deflector can cover the ship or not thus volume determines how large your deflector has to be to function

with impact damage, its total annihilator of your fun. Better max difficity than this.

Oh it is fun ;D if you know that a wrong step could kill you, flying through an asteroid field is a blast!

Also as Maxumous already said: Rooks are pretty solid and would just a oblate your shields if you would compare it to a cannon shot and scale it up to similar mass/size/speed I assume that projectile would kill you aswell in one shot.

Another thing that would bother me if collision damage would transfer to shields first is that in combat when colliding with a wreckage/ asteroid it would reduce my shields which I already need to protect the soft parts (covering the whole ship in amor never was a thing for me  :P). and considering the amount of damage the collisions do on 100% I prefer to reduce my hull to 30-50% and still having my shields up instead of loosing those and than take true damage.

That is also the thing for me with ramming speed: killing an enemy fast without loosing my shields. shield ramming would make this atleast for me useless. an alternative would be a ramming deflector (similar to rebel Galaxy) as a function block... maybe Xanium tied? that you can activate but it will eat up your energy pretty fast and also only absorbe damage as long as the energy storage has enough energy left to negate the hit. The size of the block could affect if the deflector can cover the ship or not thus volume determines how large your deflector has to be to function

This isnt a bad idea. Would love to ram some pirates while taking no dmg. But on the other side it would require a massive amount of energy like say volume*5.5*10GW (of the object that got hit) for example a 10 mil ship would be 550GW to reflect the dmg (so 0.55TW) maybe a bit much but ok

• 3 weeks later...

I think as someone mentioned the mass of the asteroid (or other object) should weigh in on the damage, but be taken by the shields. I don't believe the shield should send the asteroid or ship flying, but should act as a small buffer quickly depleting shield HP and if the shield falls, the ship and object will collide at the new lowered speed (you were probably going to fast.) I don't have too much trouble with avoiding asteroids until I'm flying a massive capital ship, and trying to turn near stations that are a fraction of my size, and asteroids and ships are in the area. That's when this becomes a real issue.