Free form wire mesh block possible for more delicate shapes

demonsangels69

Suggestion

Do you think there would be a way to make a free form block not really a block but it would be able to balance out the idea of a tool. I've had some troubles with trying to get finishing touch areas to come out right, and since I've bought the game in early access I expected more blocky mechanics but this is "unbelievable". The best Build your own creative game I've played to date... But I have troubles with it as well. It's a great learning tool. While I was working on an art program to outline a ship I was going  try building I accidentally clicked the wrong tool and that just gave me an idea to pitch is all any feedback would be grateful. :-X ps. I suck at grammar and punctuation sorry for the inconvenience.pps it'd be kinda hard but an odd idea of actually assembling parts to make primary weapons you know big BIG guns would be kinda cool and a God like dev enemy in a game would  give a more difficult game play ad tactical experience.

10 answers to this suggestion

Love the concept that we could have a block that just toggled through a series of connective shapes so that we could match up odd geometric designs and smooth out some of the wonkiness of the build system.

And yes this game has the best creative design mode of any sandbox/voxelish style game out there.

Yes the game is coming out nicely.  ;D :D

And also thank you for the reply. While clearing up and pitching the  concept so it's easier to understand. Thank you again!

Can I ask if you have any other suggestion how the mechanics would work from our perspective?

That's a really good idea. It would supersede a bunch of other "new blocks, please" suggestions.

There's one way it can be done without changing anything about the current build system or existing blocks. For example, I want to make a multi-angle template for a spheroid or something, I'd need to build it up with multiple blocks and angles. With a mesh block, I could do the same, where it would create those multiple blocks and angles automatically (fewest blocks, best fit) depending on the mesh points I set for it, and I'd end up with the same template as in manual build-up. It could have a symmetric/asymmetric toggle, with edges for symmetric and corners for asymmetric. Mesh points could obey size/scale steps for better alignment.

In case of blocks that don't have angles or corners, it would build the overall shape with the appropriate size/dimensions of smaller blocks according to size/scale step (fewest blocks, best fit). It could have the option of filling missing edges/corners with a choice of angle/corner type, i.e. armor, glass, stone, etc.

Mesh would obey match block toggle for proper fit, by scaling its components accordingly.

For additions to a multi-block base to keep proper alignment, it would need a match-template (or match multiple blocks selection) toggle where we set the outer limits (or the blocks) to be matched by current template. Basically we match two mismatched templates together so that their outer faces match for smooth external shape, and we do this by scaling the components of the new template appropriately.

In effect, it would not be a new block, but a new method of block assembly and template construction.

+1

We definitely need more blocks and some options for places where the shapes don't want to behave.

160126_NorthFront_EXT_rocinante_09d-layout.jpg  look at those cockpit angles... I just drove myself nuts for 12 hrs straight trying to replicate the nose alone and finally gave up.

Those triangles on the cockpit should be a no brainer.

Easymode... right?????!!!???

look at those cockpit angles...

This is my current project. Ultimately I decided to do the angles on the cockpit different, but still try and maintain the overall shape the same...it turned out pretty well. I'll share a sneak peek soon.

P.S. the housing over the torpedo launchers was more crazy-making than the nose...

I love the roci...

The idea that such a simple "looking" design has so many subtle complex angles and yet such grace and functionality, is the main inspiration for most of my ship design. 

I have come up with some really cool looking noses in attempts to make it look like the rocinante but yeah... im starting to feel that given the current tools we have its basically impossible.

I really look forward to seeing what youve cooked up!~

We definitely need more blocks and some options for places where the shapes don't want to behave.

160126_NorthFront_EXT_rocinante_09d-layout.jpg  look at those cockpit angles... I just drove myself nuts for 12 hrs straight trying to replicate the nose alone and finally gave up.

Those triangles on the cockpit should be a no brainer.

Easymode... right?????!!!???

If it will help. The sides of the nose is tricky, but doable. The trick is to cut all non-existent (i.e. that don't exist in Avorion) angle/edge/corner "blocks" at all their intersections on all 3 axis to end up with only blocks that do exist in Avorion. Doing this will also give you the base square blocks of the exact dimensions required to fit the angles/edges/corners.

For example, the larger non-existent corner "block" on the upper-side of the nose. Note how its intersection touching the central part of the nose is almost aligned with the base of the first edge/angle of the upper-central part of the nose (the angle right behind the cockpit, I believe). With the ship sitting on its belly and we're looking down at it, cut vertically width-wise at that intersection. Then, cut vertically length-wise at the forward intersection of that same non-existent corner block. We still have non-existent corner blocks, so we cut once more but horizontally thickness-wise this time at the new intersection created by our first two cuts.

Maybe the above is not very clear, but just remember to cut the non-existent block on all three axis - vertically width-wise, vertically length-wise, horizontally thickness-wise. It's possible to end up with pieces that just don't play nice anyways no matter how many times we cut them like that, but it'll get you closer to the shape you want.

160126_NorthFront_EXT_rocinante_09d-layout.jpg

I like that ship. All be it is very somewhat doable however the main engine... not so much with my skills  the overall build would be easier with the mesh idea keep in mind that the mesh would be solid like any other sized block so you would be loosing space within. The multi angle sections on the mid an rear regions would be the tough part when matching blocks in build mode what is the standard size you work with? 

See my build in progress:

http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2179.0.html?PHPSESSID=8vepk48ivsrkh2f183dctk2i13

what is the standard size you work with?

One thing I've figured out is that when you're working with hexagons and octagons, standard sizes go right out the window. My strategy with weird angles, round shapes, etc. Is to start big and then scale down for the final product. Opens up a lot more options that way.