How do you match colours for sections of ship already built?

25hz

I did a web and forum search and came up with no matches, so I'm asking here.  In Space Engineers, for example, you can match the colour palette of blocks that are already built, so when you make additions, the new blocks match the colour of the ones already placed.  Can that be done in Avorion?

For making the same block type of the same color (blue wedge -> blue wedge for example):

1) Select an existing block of the desired color by clicking the middle mouse button so that only one block is selected.

2) Use the copy command, CTRL+C for Windows, CMD+C for Mac, to copy the select block.

3) Use the paste command, CTRL+V or CMD+V, to create the placement object/shadow.

4) *Optional*: resize block, rotate, mirror, etc.

5) Click to place the block in the desired location.

For making a different block type of the same color (blue wedge -> blue thruster for example):

1) Select an existing block of the desired color by clicking the middle mouse button so that only one block is selected.

2) Use the copy command, CTRL+C for Windows, CMD+C for Mac, to copy the select block.

3) Use the paste command, CTRL+V or CMD+V, to create the placement object/shadow.

4) Click to place the block anywhere temporarily (will be removed later).

5) Use the "Replace Block" tool to change this block to the desired block type.

6) Select this block (should be the correct color and type now) using the middle mouse button.

7) Use the copy command, CTRL+C for Windows, CMD+C for Mac, to copy the select block.

8) Use the paste command, CTRL+V or CMD+V, to create the placement object/shadow.

9) *Optional*: resize block, rotate, mirror, etc.

10) Click to place the block in the desired location.

11) Delete temporary block from Step 4.

The new block will be in the same color as the original, even if you haven't unlocked the color in that galaxy.

I always build using these methods so I don't have to color the ship afterwards. Every block I add is a copy-paste-resize-place of a previously existing colored block. Rarely do I actually pull up the block menu first and place a non-colored block. I've unlocked so many colors it's difficult to remember which color I've used (and I don't know of a way in-game to view the name of the color for an existing colored block) so this method works best.

"Quite long instructions..."

You could half that list:

Step 1) to 3) as stated.

4) Dont place yet, but pick the block you want to place from your Hotkeybar... you will notice the shadow will change, but keeps size, you might want to adjust this here aswell.

6) Place the Block and notice it kept the color from the one selected in Step 1)

Another option would be to use the Avorion Ship Upgrade Tool from the Mods Forum, you can adjust color there aswell, note tho that you wont get the premade colors from the Game, but an full RGB Sliderthingy! So place the color you want to use before so you got an template in the Tool later...

For making the same block type of the same color (blue wedge -> blue wedge for example):

4) *Optional*: resize block, rotate, mirror, etc.

5) Click to place the block in the desired location.

For making a different block type of the same color (blue wedge -> blue thruster for example):

4) Click to place the block anywhere temporarily (will be removed later).

5) Use the "Replace Block" tool to change this block to the desired block type.

6) Select this block (should be the correct color and type now) using the middle mouse button.

7) Use the copy command, CTRL+C for Windows, CMD+C for Mac, to copy the select block.

8) Use the paste command, CTRL+V or CMD+V, to create the placement object/shadow.

9) *Optional*: resize block, rotate, mirror, etc.

10) Click to place the block in the desired location.

11) Delete temporary block from Step 4.

The new block will be in the same color as the original, even if you haven't unlocked the color in that galaxy.

I always build using these methods so I don't have to color the ship afterwards. Every block I add is a copy-paste-resize-place of a previously existing colored block. Rarely do I actually pull up the block menu first and place a non-colored block. I've unlocked so many colors it's difficult to remember which color I've used (and I don't know of a way in-game to view the name of the color for an existing colored block) so this method works best.

LOL  Holy convoluted process, but I get it. :)  I've used replace block quite often, but never copy/paste.  So, that's cool, thanks a lot.  A simple "shift-middle click" or something like that or a "shift-c" would be a simple implementation of colour match I would think.  Thanks again :)

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to add that a Colour Picker feature in the Build Mode, or at least displaying the colour and material that was used when opening Block Info (rather than only showing the x, y and z dimensions of the block), is a sorely missed feature for me, and would love to see added.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add that a Colour Picker feature in the Build Mode, or at least displaying the colour and material that was used when opening Block Info (rather than only showing the x, y and z dimensions of the block), is a sorely missed feature for me, and would love to see added.

I would also like the block-specific hit points to be displayed in this box, along with, as you said, the color.  It makes no sense to me why this has not been implemented already, these are basic stats that they should have no problem including into the UI.

• 1 month later...