Server Performance

hakameda

Running a server with about 30 people on right now and its lagging pretty badly. Which kind of logs do i need to provide to help with fixes on that?

Seems like the server does not run with the full potential of the dedicated server as well

• Boxelware Team

Avorion was never intended to support big servers as the physic-calculations are pretty heavy. For now we suggest no more than 15 players per server. Performance improvements will come with the next update, we hope that Avorion servers will support more players then.

I'll share some of my information that i gathered over the last few weeks that is related to Server performance.

Jumping sector to sector

When players jump to different sectors you will notice that this is a CPU heavy process, this differntiates from sector to sector, the more there is in a sector the harder it will be on your CPU.

Things i haven't tested yet:

- Difference between already visited sectors

- Impact of multiple people jumping at the same time

General performance

The game seems to run rather smooth with a general CPU usage between 10 and 20% (I7 950 3.07Ghz, hyperthreading Off) excluding the moments where people are jumping. Average population is 5 players.

The memory usage seems to remain between 2 and 3 GB while people are online.

All in all nothing shoking, and I do think it helps that the server installation and save file are located on a SSD.

there are some instances where people notice "lag" spikes where nothing seems to happen for a few seconds (while mining no damage numbers show up, those kind of spikes).

other than that i'm pretty impressed on how the game already performs.

I'll share some of my information that i gathered over the last few weeks that is related to Server performance.

Jumping sector to sector

When players jump to different sectors you will notice that this is a CPU heavy process, this differntiates from sector to sector, the more there is in a sector the harder it will be on your CPU.

Things i haven't tested yet:

- Difference between already visited sectors

- Impact of multiple people jumping at the same time

General performance

The game seems to run rather smooth with a general CPU usage between 10 and 20% (I7 950 3.07Ghz, hyperthreading Off) excluding the moments where people are jumping. Average population is 5 players.

The memory usage seems to remain between 2 and 3 GB while people are online.

All in all nothing shoking, and I do think it helps that the server installation and save file are located on a SSD.

there are some instances where people notice "lag" spikes where nothing seems to happen for a few seconds (while mining no damage numbers show up, those kind of spikes).

other than that i'm pretty impressed on how the game already performs.

Well that's just it, Low players it works great. It quickly becomes unplayable when it goes over 10 people online. We seem to also get bugged faction wars where there can be 50-60 ships spawned. One guy playing on a crappy pc crashed his game hard when he loaded the sector. Then it lags real bad until that sector unloads again

• 2 weeks later...

Well there are a few simple options

1. Lower the amount of players

2. Never go back to that sector

3. Maybe ask the other players to leave while you kill the ships in that system to reduce its usage?

I think 2 and 3 are good options in my opinion

Right now to my limited knowledge, I feel that Avorion's multiplayer side is very under developed in the terms of information transfer, I say "I feel" because I have no knowledge of how to make a game or code to any extent, but from my own testing and piss farting around it seems its just slow and inefficient, Whether this will change when the alliance patch drops Who knows!?

We can only hope :)

Fly Safe Commander o7