Smarter companion ship AI?

25hz

When you have another ship built with a commander, and then assign it to some task, is there a plan to improve the AI in them so that they don't use salvagers, guns and miners on EVERYTHING?  Blowing the crap out of a wreck that you want them to salvage, or shooting the hell out of an asteroid you want them to mine is counterproductive to the process.  OR, is there some way that you can make a multi purpose companion ship and set it to only use the appropriate turret, and I just don't know where that setting is?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's not possible yet but will hopefully be in the game in the future.

Currently the AI is very primitive in their functions and require a lot of server resources so they will need to be optimised first before they can be further developed.

Maybe Koonschi will make this mod-friendly in the foreseeable future, but given all the changes that ships and ship design may still undergo, I doubt he will personally work on this soon, as that would mean reworking the AI and ship generation algorithms after every significant change which would be rather counterproductive at this stage of development I would guess.

Mod support for the AI would be nice, though, as I'm sure there some code-literate people out there more than willing to create something usable and fun for us to play with while Koonschi focuses on implementing/fleshing out all the features.

• 1 month later...

I always set my military turrets to group 1, mining lasers to group 2 and salvaging lasers to group 3.  I have found that when I'm flying the ship, if I disable all turrets except 1 (say mining), that when I hop out into my drone and send it off to do something, it'll only use the turrets that I left active.  The down side is that you have to hop back into it and change the active turrets every time you want it to switch jobs.  I've started just outfitting my mining ships with 1 offensive laser and the rest mining lasers and my salvage ship with mostly salvage turrets and a couple of mining turrets (so it can mine until we make some salvage).

That's what I've found and what I do.  Hope it helps.

I am actually going through the AI scripts these days to see if there is room for improvement. They are already moddable but I am unsure if the API provides enough options.

If anyone wants to dabble the scripts are in \data\scripts\entity\ai