Just one thing i have noticed about Hangars.

Suneku

• 1 month later...

xD

Nice.

Is this also the place to complain about the use of commas in distinct sentences? I'm talking about stuff like

More strange subspace signals, they're getting stronger

I get triggered by grammar and punctuation errors quite a lot.

A spelling nazi, I am not. A grammar nazi, yay.

It is very common for non-native writers to make such mistakes.

Often in sound, I find something sounds a certain way but it is incorrect if written.

An easy example is any non-native speaker trying to write "knife".

Anyone who does not know how English works correctly and is learning by copying will write "nife".

The "K" is silent in the spoken language so they would never know.

And it's not a hangEr in this game.

They are in fact hangArs.

A hanger is something you put clothes on.

A hangar is a place one would store airplanes or in this case spaceships.

But yes, this sadly happens too often.

Hahaha knife and knight are classic examples of why English is a hard - well, more likely impossible - language to learn spelling rules for; the inconsistencies almost outnumber the consistencies, and there's no clear rules for why things are the way they are.

This is because they don't follow the rules. Or rather, the rules have changed ever since those words started getting used, but the words themselves never did. English has, unlike Dutch, for example, always stuck to the original spelling of words (there are some exceptions). This makes it easier to see the word's origins, but harder to figure out how to spell them properly unless you just know.

Knight is a great example.

Once, knight would be pronounced as "knihgt" (or: [ knɪχt ]  if you're familiar with IPA), which, when pronounced that way, sounds a lot like the Dutch word "knecht". Would it just that knight is indeed a word whose origins lie in the same origins as Dutch's knecht! English is really fun in this way, that it preserves its roots no matter how pronunciation rules change (and they have changed a lot considering the language's roots; English vowels are a prime example: they sound nothing like what the vowels sound like throughout the European countries whose lingual roots are the same as those of English -

, as it's known).