Single player crashes, 20GB RAM usage by Avorion Server

kanadaj

Hi there,

I'm getting some weird freezes in single player, and noticed recently that after exiting the game, the local server (I'm assuming you use the same server for single player as for multiplayer) is still running at up to 20GB RAM (basically all of the free RAM I have) and slowing down my computer.

Is this a known issue? If not, what kind of info do you need for debugging?

Well this is obviously a 64gb ram game..."get gud hardware"  ::)

Kidding aside, I have never seen my game spike like that. Not on my server either with 3 or 4 of us playing - though I do not monitor that closely unless there is a problem. I will have to check.

What are you doing in game?

I know if you have a huge ship in game and start making large changes such as copy/paste or deleting entire sections of a 12k + block ship in build mode, the client can get angry and crash.

Did you modify how many sectors can be active or make your own mods?

Sorry if questions seek basic, but got to start somewhere  8)

Thanks!

Well this is obviously a 64gb ram game..."get gud hardware"  ::)

Kidding aside, I have never seen my game spike like that. Not on my server either with 3 or 4 of us playing - though I do not monitor that closely unless there is a problem. I will have to check.

What are you doing in game?

I know if you have a huge ship in game and start making large changes such as copy/paste or deleting entire sections of a 12k + block ship in build mode, the client can get angry and crash.

Did you modify how many sectors can be active or make your own mods?

Sorry if questions seek basic, but got to start somewhere  8)

Thanks!

No, those crashes been around since the vanilla install, though now I have a couple mods added. Didn't really change the stability issue, it's mostly playable, except when it just decides to freeze up. Usually happens when I press a button on the loading screen while it hasn't finished loading. The client crashes, the server remains and starts gobbling up my RAM.

I did find the reason for the client RAM increase - a blueprint under %appdata%/Avorion/ships/workshop (my fault) which I've removed and that fixed it.

Still, seems like a lack of proper data validation/sanitation, since no corrupted data should be capable of filling the RAM like that, at some point, it should just default to skipping the file completely (assuming it's an infinite loop, maybe at 1 million cycles (blocks), discard the file and collect the garbage?).

But still, couldn't manage to find the reason of the server RAM issues or crashes on the loading screen.

My setup is:

Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update

CPU: Core i7 7700K

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

RAM: 32GB

So it definitely isn't a performance problem. Maybe a compatibility issue with Win10 FCU?

I think it's probably because the game engine blocks the UI thread while loading, which makes Windows think the window froze, which in turn actually freezes the game.

I get the same thing. With a 6k block ship the RAM jumps to 16GB instantly and the game hangs for about 4-8 minutes each time I make ANY CHANGE... Adding crew quarters was fun last night...

I'm using the Rusty modpack but even on vanilla it's the same since the last update. Before the update everything was instant and not a single freeze.

CPU: i7-2600 3.4GHz (8 Cores)

GPU: NVIDEA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB

Out of curiosity, do you have the spacebar to continue option disabled? I know that has given me some problems and hated loading into a sector where my ship was already under fire.

As for the ship editor part, now that I think about, I do have problems with a ship I didn't before. More testing may be necessary, but you may be right about the ship editor having problems. I also enabled some other options (reflections) since the update, I will try playing with those as well and see if that helps resolve it.

May help if dev turn off the re-render/re-calculate ship for every block. (NVM just read today's patch notes, already addressing this...lol)

I will be able to play tonight, so I will set a monitor on my ram usage and see what happens.

If I see my ram climb  I will try a single player game where I sit there doing nothing and see if RAM usage climbs that high as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Samdill is your game using 20gb of ram? In the other thread you went dark for a time then came back requesting dev help without saying whether you tried the other things that were suggested.

You have not posted in this thread before and are requesting dev help. Overall the game seems to work on most platforms without to many issues, though there are a few.

Awesome on the dev if he decides to help you, but it would be a good first choice to try and work with the community that is surprisingly helpful if you can first.