Strategic view (F9) - Control of own ship

fnordianslip

Suggestion

I would like to suggest that in the Strategic View (via F9), we should be able to direct our primary ship in terms of selecting a target to attack (includes moving to engage) or a location to move to, in the same way that we can with other ships in our fleet.  As with other fleet ships, our primary ship should require a Captain on board in order for it to be controlled in this fashion. I would also like to be able to control  the primary ship's weapon systems from this view.

We can currently directly/manually control our primary ship's fighters from the Strategic View. I would like to retain this capability if my main suggestion is implemented, but it would also seem reasonable to allow for the primary ship's Captain to take control of his embarked fighter squadrons if he is tasked to engage the enemy (i.e. with manually designated targets) or is en-route to a manually designated location.  Perhaps each squadron could have a setting to choose between manual or Captain controlled (auto) modes in a similar way to some weapons systems (those with autofire capabilities).

4 answers to this suggestion

Is this the appropriate place to ask about how to use the F9 view to issue commands to your fleet? I've tried numerous times, but whenever I order them to go somewhere, nothing happens. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Otherwise, yes, I agree. I'd like more flexibility in allowing your ship to pilot itself (or rather, have the Captain pilot it) when a Captain is on-board, regardless. Something like selecting an entity in the Sector, pressing F and hitting "Fly Here" and watch your ship automatically make the journey would be super cool.