Desperately Seeking Help With a Server Migration.

Sigsy

Hi, I've been running a dedicated server on my home PC for a few months now for around 5-6 friends.

It has been fine, but as we've started getting further to the core, bigger ships, fighters etc, we've seen the performance start to drop.

I decided to rent a server, and I have migrated the galaxy folder and changed the settings on the new server to point to the old galaxy folder.

Everything initially seems fine, the map is the same, our ships etc are there, but we're having some huge issues...

We get weird things happen, for example,

I can log in and there is a duplicate of my ship, but it now says it's owned by another one of my friends.

Or someone elses AI miner is duplicated but not owned by them,

Sectors are displaying ghost data about player ships being there,

sometimes the server restarts itself when people log in.

Sometimes I log in and it treats me as a new player, starting in the home system in a mining drone.

Sometimes the Alliance name has been changed to the name of one of the players.

I'm no expert, but to me it seems like it's not linking the people who login to their existing (migrated) player data.

Perhaps I'm missing a step?

What I have been doing is, changing the server settings on my host to point to name of the old galaxy (let's call it A), I have then copied the folder for galaxy A from the appdata folder on my home PC to the galaxy folder on my host.

Is there something else I need to do?

If anyone has migrated a server or has any idea how to fix this I'd be hugely appreciative.

I still have a saved backup of galaxy A server, which I have re-uploaded numerous times.

There is a 'bin' and 'data' directory already on the host, I haven't tried replacing it with the folders from my home server as I didn't know you had to.

I'll try that and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your reply.

That made no difference, still the same results.

I've also noticed that a lot of the faction names are missing when hovering over with the mouse in the map.

And you might jump into a system that reportably says it has 2000 asteriods and a trading post (for example) but when you jump there it is empty.

This is so strange.