Destroyed ship in build mode, insurance payment only $50 should have been 50k+

radgh

I wanted to redesign my ship from the ground up. So I went into build mode, put a huge crew cabin at the front, used the group select tool (making sure I did not select the crew cabin), disabled safe mode, and deleted everything.

But it said my ship was destroyed. I did get the titanium back. But not the funds. And my insurance message came through, only giving me $54. I had it fully insured, and it must have been worth $50,000 or more at that point!

I see a few problems here:

1. I realize that "safe mode" is meant to prevent this. But I *wanted* to rebuild my ship. And the funds that just mysteriously vanished should have been fixed. It wasn't being destroyed. At the very least deleting your ship in build mode instead of saying you were destroyed, should ask if you want to sell your ship and then put you in your drone. Why did it count as getting destroyed, and why did I not get the refund for blocks being deleted AND did not get the money back from insurance?

2. Maybe I haven't found a better way, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to build a new ship from the ground up. I also often run into pirates/allen ships entering the sector while I'm building and not ready for combat. The shipyards would be a good place to offer a "protected build mode" where you build inside a hangar, worry-free of pirates.

This is a combination bug report and suggestion, hopefully this works. Let me know if you need more info.

• Boxelware Team

You didn't lose anything that you wouldn't have lost when your ship would have been destroyed.

What happened is this: By undoing all your ship you got all your resources back. The insurance only covers the current value of your ship up to the maximum that you paid for. You had a big ship, insured it for 30% of its value, and then made it smaller to the point that it vanished. In the building mode you get 100% of your resources back.

If it didn't work this way, you'd be able to generate money by building a large ship, insuring it, then building it small again (returning all the resources you spent on before) and then destroying it.

I guess that makes sense. Although I still don't think it gave me the credits (only the iron/titanium) for my ship. But I'll assume it did and I'm just an idiot until I run into the problem again.

Thanks for explaining the insurance system to me. It didn't really make sense.