[SFX Question] Beam Weaponry Sounds

IcoHarbinger

Hey there, this is my first post here!

A while back I toyed with the idea of making a total sound conversion mod, where I went through and replaced almost all the game's environmental, ship, and weapon sounds to that of Star Trek's (Launching a torpedo would sound like a photon, etc etc).

But I've been having difficulty with beam weapons and I'm unsure if this has been touched upon before. I've noticed that beam weapons except for mining/salvaging lasers are completely silent. How would one go about adding SFX to the beam weaponry in the same manner that salvagers and miners have?

• 3 weeks later...

as best as ive been able to tell, you can't add sounds that arent already there. if you are okay with them using the same sounds as the existing mining lasers though i believe its possible to tell them to use the same sound files but I'll need to double check first.

go to "Steam\steamapps\common\Avorion\data\scripts\lib\weapongenerator.lua" and look for the point defence laser and regular laser sections. look for the weapon sound bit and replace the "laser" with "mining" so it looks like this.

weapon.sound = "mining"

give it a test drive. I've not tested it myself but the theory stands that it should work

as best as ive been able to tell, you can't add sounds that arent already there. if you are okay with them using the same sounds as the existing mining lasers though i believe its possible to tell them to use the same sound files but I'll need to double check first.

go to "Steam\steamapps\common\Avorion\data\scripts\lib\weapongenerator.lua" and look for the point defence laser and regular laser sections. look for the weapon sound bit and replace the "laser" with "mining" so it looks like this.

weapon.sound = "mining"

give it a test drive. I've not tested it myself but the theory stands that it should work

Thanks for the reply! From what I've been testing, despite there being a weapon.sound parameter, changing it yields no results. Maybe the functionality of it hasn't been implemented yet?

• 3 weeks later...