Evil Suggestion: Ship Building Only at a Ship Yard.

Kane Hart

Suggestion

Face it we all know building is way too cheap as is. I feel like you should be starting off at a ship yard. The tutorial should reflect this and you can only build within a proximity to a shipyard or maybe even a player owned station with the correct special module.

Why:

1) Building anywhere is cheap face it

2) You can so swap modules in and out on the fly

3) Gives you a reason to go back and forth and keep your relationships strong.

4) Prevents exploits like deleting your entire ship to easily respawn somewhere or get out of trouble.

5) because you know it's a good idea and there could be a option to enable and disable this feature to start with. Face it options make everyone happy and they can choose :)

6) Finally makes repairing docks worth while. The creative mode repair option in the ship building menu is already crazy OP.

7) Buff passive repair as well as create some passive repair module upgrades. (to Balance this out you can make it so passive repair does not happen if the ships been attack for the last 60 seconds, etc if you are worried their repair skills might be that faster then NPC's can damage.

11 answers to this suggestion

• Boxelware Team

This is actually the way it used to be. Building was only allowed near shipyards and was more expensive. The most complaints we got were:

- "Why can't I build my ship here?"

- "I can't find a shipyard I can't upgrade, where's the next shipyard!?!"

- "Ugh why is this such a grindfest"

- "Great, I built a ship, but it's only half finished gg no more resources"

Players, new players in particular, got frustrated due to the restrictions. It took us a few years of balancing to get where we are now, and I'm finally happy with the balancing of the ship building in terms of resources required. Considering your other points:

3. I'd like that too, but I'd prefer to encourage it by other means.

4. This is only possible before you're hit by a shot, and you'll lose your upgrades and crew.

6. Repair docks are cheaper than repairing in the building mode. One could make it even more extreme and make it gratuitious if your relations are good.

I'm finally happy with the balancing of the ship building in terms of resources required.

Agreed, the resource costs feel very reasonable now.

However, I also agree with Kane. Beeing able to build everywhere is a bit weird.

So why not handle building the same way as repairs?

Build near a shipyard and it costs the same as it does now.

Build in the middle of nowhere and it gets a lot more expensive. (btw. it would be good to know the emergency repaircosts in advance)

To make things a bit easier, it could also cost less if you're near any kind of station. (just not as cheap as the shipyard)

Making sure that new players always spawn in a system with a shipyard shouldn't be a problem I'd say.  ???

I think they actually always do have a Shipyard when they start out :)

Line 31 and 32 of starsector.lua

generator:createShipyard(faction)
    generator:createRepairDock(faction)

Yeah I really dislike the current method it really feels like cheating. I wonder if this something we could even mod back in or at least beg for an option in the future including disabling the repair button as a option too.

I also feel building anywhere is a little weird when we have to physically dock to exchange goods with stations already.

(btw. it would be good to know the emergency repaircosts in advance)

This would be great. Right now it's a "I wonder how much this repair is gonna cost me.. ouch" type scenario every time you repair.

Maybe a repair window would be nice with an overview of the damage currently existing to your ship. On this screen it could also show:

1) Specific damage to your ship and what modules are affected.

2) option to repair only some damage(target specific damaged areas).

3) Option to repair partial/full and associated costs

4) Option to set "repair over time" as a long term fix at a less resource cost(but maybe costing heavily in energy draw?)

I imagine this type of overview will also be more important once boarding is implemented to see specifically damaged areas of your ship/crew?

I like this idea also, but mostly for a different reason.

I wish that the "build mode" we have now would be a "blueprint mode", you can design anywhere but need to bring it to the shipyard to actually build it.

The idea is mostly so that you can play around with the design without fearing wasting resources or money until you get something you like and build it.

Also it's kind of annoying having the crew mutiny on you cause you're restarting your ship and didn't build the quarters first thing or get pirates that spawns on you while your rebuilding your ship and is barely half through.

Another idea is, that you can request a portable shipyard from a fraction. It takes some time until in warps right next to you ( 1 minute ).

You can now edit your Ship without finding a repair -/ shiptyard.

You cant request a portable ship, when you're in a fight or recently were in one.

This would bring us a little more reality to the game.

But you can still go find a stationary yard -/ repair dock, wich is still less expensive than the portable ones.

( partable station = the current edit system price's )

Another thing:

If you have a clan-base you can recruit portable repair station's or yards, or even build your own repair station's in your base.

The Suggested feature:

I mean, lets assume you're in a fight and cant back to a repair-dock to repair yourself. How would you repair yourself then?

The Block's wont just go back in place after some time, that would be unrealstic and i wouldn't like it. ( like in Robocraft )

So what do you think about my suggestion?

I'll chime in and say, that it's a neat idea, but with point 5 in Kane Hart's post. Optional.

I enjoy jumping right in the game, immediately to build and play, before heading out. Don't want to have to find/park at shipyards all the time.

Yeah I'm a big fan of options. People should not be forced to play one style. For example ugly box ships because someone wanted to break parts off in PvP :P