[Config] No. of threads

psykzz

So I've been running a server for the most of today with 4 friends. It seems that each system or at least AI in each system is controlled by each thread.

So the more you and your friends spread out the more thread your server is going to require.

Something else i noticed however, was that the starter system was quite bad at doing too much and maxing the core it was on.

We did stay in the starter system for quite some time before everyone moved on.

My question to you is, what no. of threads are you using and what is your experience with using that number?

• Boxelware Team

This is not how it works. The server spawns temporary threads when a sector generations are started, right now these are unlimited and run at full load so users get their "Nav calculations complete" as fast as possible. The number of threads in this scenario will be configurable in the future.

The normal update sectors are updated by the worker threads, and these can be configured. Those are the threads that will always run. It's not one-sector-one-thread, that would mean 15 sectors would require 15 threads, which is not an option.

• Boxelware Team

Yes, +1 or even +4 if four jump route calculations are currently happening. Sectors are generated only once you calculate the jump route to them, and the calculations should be over fast (or players will wait minutes until it's done on large servers). But in the future we'll add an option for a maximum number of threads here, too.

Have you thought about using idle threads to generate sectors earlier?

Ideally focusing on the immediate surrounding areas and also those connected by gates.

I guess there will be a small memory hit, but I assume afterwards you could just save it to disc.

• Boxelware Team

Oh yeah definitely. So far I've decided against it since it would mean that if we add new content, players would have to travel relatively far to find that content. And the sectors that would have to be generated are actually A LOT of sectors, it would take up space pretty quickly.

As long as we're still steadily adding content, we'll do the sector generation on demand.