Quickly switching between built ships in different sectors

Dashychan

Is there a way to quickly switch between ships in different sectors?  Instead of having to jump as a drone/some other ship inorder to use certain ships.  Currently, I have a higher tier of material ship and flew back to the home system to play with a friend that just started.  To play with him I built a new ship that's less advanced after returning to the home system, but I still wish to go off exploring in my main ship while he's offline.  However, to use my newer ship I have to physically make my way back hundreds of sectors from the frontier.  So, is there a way to take command of ships without physically transferring in a drone/ship?

In a short answer, no i do not think there is a way. The only way to move between ships (even in the same system) is being in close proximity and pressing "T" or flying to it in a drone. Although this would make things simpler, you could also do things like have a ship waiting at the resource shop while you mine in far off systems so you could instantly switch back and sell your materials and make fast money way to easily.

Mining, or heck, selling materials in general is not a fast money maker There are way, way, way, way, way, way and way faster methods of massing massive amounts of money. Mining and material sales are bout the slowest way to make money and teleporting to the materials trader instantly isn't going to change that much.

IMHO, we should just be able to switch to ships via the player menu. Would also solve the home sector issue.

It was just one example. I can see people using that to take advantage.

Imagine trying to do a trade run but run into a player pirate in pvp and every time you kill them they just teleport to another ship and are right after you again after you won the fight fair and square.

Just my opinion. I feel like it would diminish the repercussions of dying.  Dying would almost become a stragegic advantage to be used in various situations. People would just send little cheap crafts to the deeper sectors to mine a bunch of high level mats without risking their real ship, or even risking the time it took to get there.

If someone has multiple ships, they have the right to come after you with all of those ships. If someone has multiple ships and want to come after you with a single ship at a time while they control it, they're a complete idiot, but they have a right to do it. Its not exploitative or unfair, they've spent the resources and time to get those ships.

When it comes to mining and rushing to the center, then the later is already happening and the former would still be completely useless since you can just acquire the resources from a materials trader(and the credits to buy them from various other sources) far easier anyway. Such a crappy limitation is not the solution, the solution is to rebalance the progression in the game to make other areas of the galaxy more appealing and meaningful.

Well alright i see where you are coming from. if the game were under you system what would be in place to making dying really "bad". The game already gives the players power to basically be more powerful thank most npcs and have near infinite resources. What would be repercussions for death (aside from a few thousand resources) if there isnt a chance of really losing equipment (your ship is right there to pick it up) or the need to travel deeper into the universe again?

I guess what im asking is wouldnt this just make the game too easy? Should there be no repercussions for death?

Edit: a simpler issue is this: how do you explain that happening? As far as realistically in game you are only in one ship. The rest of your ships are run by hired captains who are in those ships flying them. Is your consiousness somehow leaving your characters body and flying into the other captains? You change ships by getting close and moving into those ships, which makes me believe the players are meant to have some "physical" existance in this game, which means they shouldnt be able to just teleport through space into another cockpit.

Perhaps a way to control other ships only in the RTS view while you are not in system with them?

Imagine trying to do a trade run but run into a player pirate in pvp and every time you kill them they just teleport to another ship and are right after you again after you won the fight fair and square.

That is exactly what already happens anyway, when they have other ships in the sector.

Edit: a simpler issue is this: how do you explain that happening? As far as realistically in game you are only in one ship. The rest of your ships are run by hired captains who are in those ships flying them. Is your consciousness somehow leaving your characters body and flying into the other captains? You change ships by getting close and moving into those ships, which makes me believe the players are meant to have some "physical" existence in this game, which means they shouldn't be able to just teleport through space into another cockpit.

Perhaps a way to control other ships only in the RTS view while you are not in system with them?

I basically share the view of CitizenCake.

I think that you are supposed to be a single person, which is starting small and making its way to the top. As a person you wont be able to just swap to the other ships and only move to them over docking (close distance).

Long range commands, aka strategy mode/RTS view, would be also my suggested solution. Just think the other commanders are asking for orders, but rather on which target to attack and not on the exact spot they should hit.

Also, I am not sure if I should move this to the suggestions thread by now, but I think I will leave it here for now.

Personally, I don't like the idea of being able to switch to a ship in a different sector. I'd rather have a module that allows cross sector communication with my AI Captains and tell them what I want don't via the interface. Of course I'm always for things to be options. Lots of folks asking for features and tweaks, this is a good sign for this game!

Either simply be able to give orders to your fleet through either the map or the Fleet menu.

Or having a "teleportation chamber" block that permits you to teleport onto one of your ships in a certain distance( the bigger the block and the higher tier the material, the larger the distance you can teleport)

Also with this having the teleporting option on NPC stations, so that you can go through a specific route?

• 1 month later...

I'm all for making this a mod with UI or even just command line, that way it's up to the individual/server if they want to use it.

one my creative mode game, which I  mainly use to design new ships, I've been doing some testing to figure out fighters/hangers now I'm stuck in my test ship half way across the galaxy from the half finished design I want to work on and if I want  to do more testing I've got to travel all the way back out again.