What to do on bad starter seeds?

Paranoyd

Still new (<20 hours) and restarted the game recently. This time around I've mined out the beginning seed and have all of 2,000 titanium (and a decent haul of 40k iron) to show for it. It's enough to make generators for a smallish ship, but not enough for much else.

The equipment dealers in the area don't seem to be refreshing with anything that really does me much good, just shield generators and turret upgrades when I really need a way to get around the map and detect things much, much faster.

So now I'm a bit... stuck. Not sure what to do really. I don't have a module to show the trade routes and only have a total of about 150,000 credits anyhow, so trading seems to be out. I have a small ship because anything bigger requires more engines/thrusters and I can't generate enough energy to keep them powered up.

I really need to find a new sector to mine in, but I can't really get anywhere fast. Even the 9x9 sectors around me that I've explored are pretty much barren.

Any advice???

That is actually quite a bit of materials and creds to get rolling.  You have enough titanium and plenty of credits to build the titanium generator of a size that will gen a lot of power.  Note there is no iron version of the generator block so you have to scroll to the titanium section to see it.  A block size of about 1000 titanium should be plenty to allow you to expand your ship. 

Mining is great for a steady stream of mats and creds, however, to get modules and turrets you really need to get into salvaging instead of fully depending on the equipment merchant respawns.  There are tons of wreck around.  Just go where you see the fighting going on.  That said, another approach here is to do some fighting yourself.  The pirates in the beginning system are easier than you might think using just a couple decent chain guns.  Not only does this get you faction cred, you are clearing the way to begin your salvaging ops in that area.

Salvaging is the way to quickly get updated turrets and modules ....  You of course need salvaging lasers and turn off any weapons while salvaging ... at least I think I get better drop results that way...

That is actually quite a bit of materials and creds to get rolling.  You have enough titanium and plenty of credits to build the titanium generator of a size that will gen a lot of power.  Note there is no iron version of the generator block so you have to scroll to the titanium section to see it.  A block size of about 1000 titanium should be plenty to allow you to expand your ship. 

Mining is great for a steady stream of mats and creds, however, to get modules and turrets you really need to get into salvaging instead of fully depending on the equipment merchant respawns.  There are tons of wreck around.  Just go where you see the fighting going on.  That said, another approach here is to do some fighting yourself.  The pirates in the beginning system are easier than you might think using just a couple decent chain guns.  Not only does this get you faction cred, you are clearing the way to begin your salvaging ops in that area.

Salvaging is the way to quickly get updated turrets and modules ....  You of course need salvaging lasers and turn off any weapons while salvaging ... at least I think I get better drop results that way...

As far as I can tell, salvaging lasers cause the destruction of the wreck resulting in you gaining system upgrades and resources(titanium, etc).

However, regular weapons will blast apart the wreck resulting in you gaining system upgrades, no resources. Also, much faster than salvaging.

Interesting comment Valkin ... given you do not seem to get much resources from salvaging turrets anyway, and at least at this point the value seems to be in the drops ... modules, cargo, turrets ..... is there any reason to use salvage laser?

Interesting comment Valkin ... given you do not seem to get much resources from salvaging turrets anyway, and at least at this point the value seems to be in the drops ... modules, cargo, turrets ..... is there any reason to use salvage laser?

The efficiency of the lasers go up with the rarity. I had an exotic salvaging laser that had 48% efficiency. If I had a bunch of those I could be stripping wrecks and getting almost half the materials. So yes, that would be useful.

On the other hand, when you have crappy efficiency lasers it might be faster to just destroy the wrecks and take the turrets/upgrades, sell them, and then buy minerals from depots when ever you need them.

Another factor, you can craft turrets. Each Turret depot offers a slightly difference turret configuration. Some offer ones with increased range or efficiency or damage or some combination of 2+. That would probably be a really good way to outfit a bunch of salvaging lasers.

You know you could just use the jump system on your ship to travel wherever you want? I hardly ever use the gates unless there is one right near where i am.

I have used the wormholes, had one take my from one side of the map to the other

also if you equip a radar system upgrade you will see yellow blip sectors that usually have something interesting in them

Once you get your hands on a few +30% efficient salvager (orange and above) then salvaging gets way better.

I was lucky enough to geta  44% efficient (albiet iron) salvager that can only get iron/titanium - but the amount of resources per wreck is incredible.