Please stop spacebar from auto-paying space police

player_0005327

Suggestion

3 times now I've been boosting, holding down the space bar, and some frigate or another decides to extort me for my naughty cargo, and I just see a flurry of menus and then I've paid them whatever amount. It's cost me a couple million so far, and also a bunch of faction rep when I destroy the frigate afterwards.

Also, it's pretty brutal drifting in whatever direction you happen to be going when the message pops up. I've bounced off other ships and asteroids but haven't lost a ship to it yet. Maybe having the extortion message popup work like the introductory hint messages would solve both problems; it would let you aim in a safe direction and let off the space bar before you hold shift to use the pointer.

3 answers to this suggestion

3 times now I've been boosting, holding down the space bar, and some frigate or another decides to extort me for my naughty cargo, and I just see a flurry of menus and then I've paid them whatever amount. It's cost me a couple million so far, and also a bunch of faction rep when I destroy the frigate afterwards.

Also, it's pretty brutal drifting in whatever direction you happen to be going when the message pops up. I've bounced off other ships and asteroids but haven't lost a ship to it yet. Maybe having the extortion message popup work like the introductory hint messages would solve both problems; it would let you aim in a safe direction and let off the space bar before you hold shift to use the pointer.

yeah i just rammed my massive cargo freighter i was hauling 30million creds of warheads in into the police cruiser that stopped me, because of the dialog drift... long story shortened. police cruiser was plastered like a bug on my windshield and i was warp jammed into the system

I found if I'm really mashing down the space bar when the dialog window hits, it doesn't auto-pay the npc ship, the message plays like normal. The times when it does auto-pay, I'm pushing it lightly, so I just have a worn-out keyboard that's not quite holding connection and that's what is causing this problem. It would be nice if there were a third neutral option besides 'Comply' or 'Ignore' that is highlighted by default, so if your space bar's on the fritz it doesn't do this. Wouldn't have to remap any controls that way. I've seen others complaining about this issue on other forums, so it's not just me with a crappy keyboard.

Also, the Bottan's smuggler ship that hangs out by the smuggler stations gives you its mission the same way, hijacking your ship controls, and I've accepted the mission inadvertently a few times the same way I've paid the space police. This seems to cause multiple version of the "A Friend" ship to be waiting for you which I think borked the mission for me, but that belongs in its own thread.