Game crashes upon starting or joining a galaxy/save/server.

Phoenixstar117

By galaxy I mean a save or such.

See the game installed correctly. It loaded up correctly, music and all. I then click on single-player, new, etc until it gets to the loading screen. It has the loading screen, nice tip at the top and a nice background... Then about five or eight seconds later BOOM, crash.

I have re-installed the game several times, updated my drivers, etc. But nothing fixes the problem.

See the thing that really boggles my mind is my brother has the exact same laptop (Alienware M14X R1) with the same drivers, and yet it works fine for him. Game loads the galaxy just fine and he already has a nice ship and such, meanwhile I am stuck with the loading screen and crashes.

COMPUTER SPECS (Just so you can have a look...):

RAM: 8gb

Processor: Intel® Core i5-2430M - 2.40Ghz - Duel Core

System: Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

Graphics Card Used to Run Game: Nvidia GeForce 555m

Side Notes:

When the game crashes the programs "Launcher.exe" and "SpaceServer" stay open inside the Task Manager, programs that start upon starting the game.

Inside my brother's game settings the shader tab has multiple choices, mine only has low.

Thanks for reading this and if you got a answer please do tell me! Me and my brother have spent hours trying to get the game to work with no luck and are really down about it. So any help or ideas, please do tell me!

(P.S. I have tried running in Administrator, moving the file location, and mucking with system compatibility)

• Boxelware Team

Hi there.

What kind of crash are we talking about here? Does the game just close or is there a windows error message like "Avorion.exe has stopped working"?

In order to tell you more you'll have to post the clientlog.txt file. You can find it in your %appdata%\Avorion folder.

One common problem is that Intel provides graphics drivers, too. There were issues when people had both graphics drivers active, and the game chose the intel driver instead of the nvidia driver.

Deactivating the intel graphics device via the hardware manager seemed to have worked.

Hi there.

What kind of crash are we talking about here? Does the game just close or is there a windows error message like "Avorion.exe has stopped working"?

In order to tell you more you'll have to post the clientlog.txt file. You can find it in your %appdata%\Avorion folder.

One common problem is that Intel provides graphics drivers, too. There were issues when people had both graphics drivers active, and the game chose the intel driver instead of the nvidia driver.

Deactivating the intel graphics device via the hardware manager seemed to have worked.

By crash I mean the game completely shuts down, no warning nor error, just quits out. Ill get the clientlog in a little bit as I fully deleted the game the other day.

As a side note though, for some reason the older version (5.5) works if I delete this certain 3d file.

if I delete this certain 3d file.

What certain 3d file?

The instanced3D.vert

But it does not matter, turns out the game was not actually playing through the Nvidia and instead the Intel, so with some editing I got it to stay on the Nvidia. Then it crashed again. So I tried full screen and BAM it works fine. The game loads up, the LAN works so I can play with my brother. Amazing game by the way, amazing work you have done.

But yep its all sorted out, just have to play the game using the Nvidia and in fullscreen and it works fine.

Also deleting the instanced3D.vert makes the game error crash in the newer version, but seems to make the game work in the older version for me.

• Boxelware Team

I'm glad you got it to work!

The issues with the instanced3D file should be fixed in the next version.

I'd still be interested in a logfile when you try to play the game in non-fullscreen mode and it crashes.

• 2 months later...
  • Boxelware Team

I

I have the exact problem, and installing new drivers didn't work. I'm running Avorion 0.6. My computer specs are: Processor : Intel core i3-2328m Quad core, Graphics : Intel HD 3000, Ram : 4gb, Operating system : Windows 8 64bit.

I checked your logfile, it looks like your graphics device doesn't support several extensions required by the game. The problem with Intel Graphics and OpenGL is, that they claim to support OpenGL 3, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 etc, but there are several extensions simply missing. It's not complete. If installing new drivers didn't work, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

• 2 years later...