Does Avorion have an advertisement problem?

lmss1994

Does Avorion have an advertisement problem?

This question fist bother me wen i stated viewing a gameplay series on YouTube, I had a different impression before viewing the gameplay, that the game had only Squares blocks and it would play like other similar games.

Gladly i was wrong and that gameplay made me decide to buy a copy of the game on steam.

And so for a few day i drooped out of the question.

But after i made a post on 9gag joking about "what if minecraft and EVE online had a twins"

( http://9gag.com/gag/abp5E99 )

I had a discussion that brought that question back to me.

So after that i created another post on 9gag to see if i could come with a plausible conclusion to this.

( http://9gag.com/gag/appvK4W )

In this post i compared one of the advertisement that popped out in google search with 4 screenshot of ships submitted in the creation section of this forum.

This post was a hit, with 1802 up votes and still growing, and a large action in the comment section that helped me come with some conclusion to the question.

1º- People compere Avorion to Space engineers and some times to Starmade, mostly because of its block aspect.

2º- The ships, most of the comment wore about the ships, mostly about the 40k Retribution-class, this will be connected to 2 factor: its complexity in design, and its iconic and popularity.

3º- That people who have seen the videos of gameplay have a total different opinion vs the people that have only seen pictures.

4º- Google search images, the ones that look more official are the one that have only cubic based ships.

So now i would like to know what you thing about this subject to paint a better picture about it.

4º- Google search images, the ones that look more official are the one that have only cubic based ships.

The game's ship generator works that way. It cannot produce meaningful-looking ships, instead they usually all look like a mess of blocks (except for cargo freighters). I'd say it's more of a station generator, in my opinion  ;D

You are correct in that, but when it come to creative games it's better to show its potential in turning your ideas in to rock solid creations

I'm going to say that "the sims" is a good example for this, in its advertisement it concentrates more in what you can do and create

Well on release, there was very few player creations... This has obviously changed, so with this many ships, videos and screenshots, it could be worth tweaking steam page and other advertisements channels, I am sure that most people wouldn´t mind if their creations are used this way.

Hey there,

if a german streamer called Hirnsturz (or Minyas if you prefer) hadn't streamed Avorion, I wouldn't have bought it. Steam does show it serveral times to me before, and the displayed pictures aren't that interesting. If you've showed me a WH40K ship or one of the Enterprises or so I'd totally bought is way earlier.

From the steampage, there is nothing that shows you the level of "addiction" this games creates.

So yeah I think the advertisement could be done a bit better.

Well, what to say. I'm in love with Avorion. So I thought I make my self a little advertising.

Shameless me is shameless.

here

eviL_Bison you missed to point out what makes Avorion a quite unusual product on Steam EA. It has actual gameplay which goes beyond the usual tech demo "give me money now!"-attitude of Steam EA games. Building fancy ships from Star Wars can be done in many sandbox games, but I fail to remember any game which has that much to do at release on Steam EA. Further on, apart from the circle jerking enemy ships and the hyperspace blockers trapping me forever in a sector (which was patched a day after, as we know) there were no major bugs.

I've actually had the same prejudice as your responder to your thread. Thought I'm going to add just another of these games with a lot of potential to my library. And sadly nobody will be able to see what makes Avorion special from screenshots or feature descriptions, because Steam EA enables developers to be quite vague in their descriptions in relation to actual currently playable content. Apart from people actually trying out or watching gameplay, it's quite hard to catch browsing steam users.

The game's ship generator works that way. It cannot produce meaningful-looking ships, instead they usually all look like a mess of blocks (except for cargo freighters). I'd say it's more of a station generator, in my opinion  ;D

I disagree on this.

As an example, if you go to found a new ship and zip through the 3 current styles while cycling through a seed of 1-50 (or more if you wish), many of the generated ships look quite decent. If you then start to mess with scale and volume you get even more variety.

Sure, there are some ship types that can look like a mess (but don't necessarily do), but i am pretty sure some of these are supposed to look messy anyway (f ex alien ships ;))