Adaptive Armor

Triggerhappy

Suggestion

A small request for all of us out there who think shields are for wimps and always go for armor tank (like true Amar)!

A new armor class that eats up power per volume, but provides significant durability. Maybe have it eat up more and more power as it absorbs damage, until you run out of power. Sort of like shields, but instead your durability bar is partially related to your power bar. This, I think, would also give a lot more reason to use energy containers. And allow an alternative for shields, on the same strength/usefullness level them.

9 answers to this suggestion

I think what I suggested long ago would work better and achieve the same effect 

Integrity field generators:

I know this is a hot topic and has been discussed at length on these forums. But what’s the use of having destructible ships if you never destroy them?

This is what I believe integrity field generators be.

When placed according to their mass and the ships mass a certain amount of energy is permanently allocated to it that allows mechanics to repair broken off parts.

They would also according to the mass reduce or completely negate collision damage. :IE I have a large integrity field generator and I bump into an asteroid at a rather slow speed the damage is completely absorbed and negated. But let’s say you have a small integrity field generator and you smash into a space station. The integrity field generator is overwhelmed and only able to reduce a certain percentage of the damage taken.

Also once placed a new UI will be available that enables the player to use energy according to the integrity field generators total mass to increase the entire ships HP. This new HP is equally distributed among each block regardless of size. This feature is mainly for use with stations and defensive platforms so players that have shielded piercing weapons cannot easily destroy them.

<--- (bold is topic relative)

Hello there!

Ahm... New! to this all but could you be a little more detailed in this idea cuz I don't see the benefits of this so called "adaptive armor" concept I did read what everyone has said but I don't grasp the idea fully if I'm correct you want damage to be able to reduce energy before all damage is visible right?

Hello there!

Ahm... New! to this all but could you be a little more detailed in this idea cuz I don't see the benefits of this so called "adaptive armor" concept I did read what everyone has said but I don't grasp the idea fully if I'm correct you want damage to be able to reduce energy before all damage is visible right?

Alright, to be fair, I was quite vague.

A new set of blocks, with all the shapes that normal armor has. Passively, this armor eats up a bit of power, but a lot of this armor can add up to a lot power draw. However, when damage is dealt to the armor, it cuts down the inbound damage significantly ( I say 90 to 98% ) and begins to draw a lot more power. As more damage is dealt to the armor, it begins to consume the energy storage, until it runs out. At that point the armor looses it's 90-98% damage reduction bonus, and gains the durability of a normal block of that material.

So, in summary -

Pros:

- Huge durability when powered

- Save money and energy on shields

- You don't use shields and can brag about it

Cons:

- Its armor.

- Draws a lot of power ( direct relationship to the volume of armor used )

- Can eat up all your power quickly if too much damage is dealt to you too quick or if you don't have much energy storage/production.

So, in summary -

Pros:

- Huge durability when powered

- Save money and energy on shields

- You don't use shields and can brag about it

Cons:

- Its armor.

- Draws a lot of power ( direct relationship to the volume of armor used )

- Can eat up all your power quickly if too much damage is dealt to you too quick or if you don't have much energy storage/production.

so in short okay but you have to keep in mind that a block like that would also weigh more than a shield gen or even a normal block but now I do get that actually placing a block like that would allow you defence before you get to the element for building shields  witch is a greater plus however the ratio they have going for each type of element would not be able to keep up without an added effect in element type iron is heavier than tin but lighter than og but this type of block would have  to get heavier the more up the element type goes you see the problem?

Maybe rather than a new block type, give integrity field generators an "overcharge" option

Takes a few seconds to start up, during which time any shields you have are disabled.

Maybe startup time could scale based on proportion of integrity field blocks compared to ship size? So just having some tiny ones scattered around to protect your ships skin would lead to a LONG startup.

While active shields are kept offline.

Provides a damage reduction on covered blocks, (exact value could scale with material used in the integrity field?) but say 90% or so as the maximum, any higher and it starts being *too* good.

Gradually increasing energy drain when active, if you run out of energy it shuts down and can't be reactivated until you regenerate a portion of your battery, like how afterburners are limited when your battery runs out.

This would save from adding a new block type, and would in theory give this option to all ships.

But to have a quick startup (something necessary as the power drain stops you from keeping it up always) would take a notable amount of blocks assigned.

Just an idea.

Maybe rather than a new block type, give integrity field generators an "overcharge" option

In theory I love it however given gens are kinda rough to maintain sorta speak within a ship and supply proportionally is rough for some designs but rather doable having an alt like ability to the integrity block sounds reasonable to override other functions in cross with increased defence but that's not what the block does hmm now I have an idea dilemma...

Rather than adaptive armour, I'd side with an improved repair mechanic.

Which leads to it being kind of 'wrong' that ore and unplaced turrets and upgrades go into a magical dimension that's always accessible to the player.

Perhaps we ought to be looking at having those items take up cargo space (with your drone having just enough of a Bag of Holding to build a small iron ship to get you going).  And then, to prevent the pain of going all the way back to square one after a bad encounter, every player should be affiliated with a station on the galactic rim (where they would first spawn) that has player-specific inventory and infinite capacity.

Then players can decide how much cargo space they want to set aside for spare parts and materials to repair damage... and how much they're willing to lose if they get completely blown out of the sky.