Why Avorion fucking sucks.

Isn't a 1x1x1 block a 1mx1mx1m block? If you're right, then yes, definitely, these are big asteroids. And the point you bring up about empty hull space and delicate parts is a good one.

It's been a while since I looked at the info, but I'm almost certain that's what it says. I could be wrong. It should be on the wiki if you want to fact check me.

EDIT: I was wrong, the 2x2x2 block is 10 meters which should make the 1x1x1 5 meters, either way, they are big stroids

Isn't a 1x1x1 block a 1mx1mx1m block? If you're right, then yes, definitely, these are big asteroids. And the point you bring up about empty hull space and delicate parts is a good one.

It's been a while since I looked at the info, but I'm almost certain that's what it says. I could be wrong. It should be on the wiki if you want to fact check me.

EDIT: I was wrong, the 2x2x2 block is 10 meters which should make the 1x1x1 5 meters, either way, they are big stroids

Actually, a 2x2x2 block has a volume of 8,000m3, which makes it 20m x 20m x 20m. A 1x1x1 block has a volume of 1,000m3, or 10m x 10m x 10m.

Those asteroids are massive.

Actually, a 2x2x2 block has a volume of 8,000m3, which makes it 20m x 20m x 20m. A 1x1x1 block has a volume of 1,000m3, or 10m x 10m x 10m.

Those asteroids are massive.

So I was right and the wiki is wrong, wooo!

I must admit I did not read a single word of this post, but I did read the title, and my response is simple:

Avorion does not "fucking suck"...you do.

That is all  :)

lol actually the OP is a good read if you're in for a bit of a laugh, and the following discussion is actually pretty interesting and gave a bunch of us some information none of us really knew about, so I encourage you: do read, do!

This is so ridiculous.  The damage from a collision is NOT contained to just the blocks that made physical contact with the object.  That damage ripples throughout your ship.  It is not just the one area.  It is like a cone effect that can even affect internal blocks.  That is, with or without an integrity field generator.  And the higher your velocity the longer and wider the cone gets.

Also, 100 kms is SUPER fast.

For instance .75 kilometers per second is how fast a bullet can travel out of the barrel of a rifle.  That is a fraction of ONE kilometer.  ONE!!!  The International SPace station is travelling around our planet now in low Earth Orbit at around 8 kilometers per second.  Which is a blistering 17,150, miles per hour.  And your ship was going more than TEN TIMES that when it hit the asteroid or space station, or whatever it was you hit.  You were travelling more than 170,000 miles per hour or, 273.588 kilometers an hour.

There is no material or object known to us at this time, or even likely to know in the future that will be able to take such a massive impact and not get completely obliterated.

That said, it you hit anything with that kind of velocity and force it too should be destroyed, even those asteroids should be destroyed in that collision.  However, this does not save you, as you should also be destroyed in that collision.

If you were to build a space ship out of solid steel, about the size of a school bus, let alone a spaceship the size of some in this game, anyway, the size of a school bus amd you were to send it crashing to the surface of Earth with that kind of speed, provided it was able to stay in one piece and fully intact until collision, it would turn the entire surface of our planet into a raging fire.

Due to the friction of the atmosphere at that speed all the air around it would be turned into plasma which would spread until it consumed everything, until it ran out of fuel.

So yeah, your complaint is heard, but it was so stupid it must now be ignored.

I was under the impression that integrity field generators don't "share" damage in their areas, they only multiply individual block HP values by 10.  I'm confused as to why that would affect collision damage at all unless, when blocks take enough damage to be destroyed, overkill damage is being ignored rather than being applied to the ship's general HP pool.  A "collision bumper" would work in that case by allowing blocks with low HP to take the massive hit, nullifying all of the damage in excess of their own HP.  I'm questioning whether or not that's intended behavior, as it seems like it encourages building ships in a way that would negatively impact performance.

Is this unique to collision damage or does it apply to weapon damage as well?

Aha! Vital info...I shall modify me behemoth accordingly to prevent further mishaps

It makes perfect sense since I use IFGs a lot and even going "slow", as in 50 to 150m/s, made the big ships blow like mad...reason: maximum tier block in an IF up front...lower tier blocks for the rest...

BOOOM

/quote]Wait, what? What does this do? Does it link one block's damage to that of another? That's not at all what I'd expect an Integrity Field Generator to do. :o

It pretty much just spreads damage over the area it covers, the blocks with lower value hull points are destroyed first after their value is consumed when taking damage, which is why if you collide with something when collision is set and you have an integrity field generator covering the whole ship, the whole ship is destroyed, because the damage is spread over ALL covered blocks