I think planet landing are possible.

Hellatze

I used to think planet landings were the thing when it came to space simulations, however games like Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky have showed that they actually add little value in the game. This is mostly because it's hard to create interesting content that make planets a worthwhile endeavour. There is simply too much space on a planet that you could fill with something that keeps you engaged. So even if you could mod this in, I really doubt it would bring the game forward in a meaningful way. It would be a cool tech demo, of course ;).

As you get closer to the planets in Avorion  (which are 3d models and not just textures) you start to encounter errors similar to the errors you find if you travel to the far lands in minecraft. These floating point errors will make the screen shake and jitter, this problem happens when your position reaches a certain number and gets increasingly worse. To my knowledge this problem is not fixable and is probably one of the reasons why planets will never be implemented, along with the fact it would bring nothing new to Avorion.

As you get closer to the planets in Avorion  (which are 3d models and not just textures) you start to encounter errors similar to the errors you find if you travel to the far lands in minecraft. These floating point errors will make the screen shake and jitter, this problem happens when your position reaches a certain number and gets increasingly worse. To my knowledge this problem is not fixable and is probably one of the reasons why planets will never be implemented, along with the fact it would bring nothing new to Avorion.

i am sure blowing planets, invasion, taxes, collecting sector / invasion, galactic empire, capital planet, mass planet factory, galactic wonder.

planet gives a lot EFFECT on avorion.

use imagination.

and to encounter jittering. just place planet in special sector. so that place are used specially for planet.

and i wish to blows up planet.

>telling me to use my imagination

Cute.

While some of the things you listed would be interesting, they are already things that could be done with space stations, and probably much easier to implement.  I really don't think plants will bring anything new to the game.  If you want a massive structure to rule over I would highly suggest a space colony  (if your PC can handle it)

http://[http://i.imgur.com/Ei6ZKwV.jpg

>telling me to use my imagination

Cute.

While some of the things you listed would be interesting, they are already things that could be done with space stations, and probably much easier to implement.  I really don't think plants will bring anything new to the game.  If you want a massive structure to rule over I would highly suggest a space colony  (if your PC can handle it)

http://[http://i.imgur.com/Ei6ZKwV.jpg

1. You didnt really read my post.

2. Planet gives a lot of advantages, they are spacious and contain a lot of minerals. You can make production chain in planet rather make multiple station.

3. Add immersion in games.

4. Add civilian, so they can pay you taxes. Habitat are expensive.

5. Food production at planet are great, rather make it on station.

6. This feature are worth of DLC i will buy.

7. Why you want dev didnt want to add planet ?

It really seems like the game's direction is going towards being a space game, not a planet one. Maybe some day planets can be added but I just think there's too much space content that needs to be added first.

well this thread saying planet are possible.

they should add this feature in future as DLC if they need fund, and planet are very iconic in space game.

and they didnt take a lot of content. (they are a big ship but made by rock, just like asteroid. lmao)

however until now we still wait for combat update.

Planet landing may not be implementable, but planetery trading, definitely yes, planets need to have a big impact on what happens in space. Planetary trading posts currently exist as proof-of-concept at the moment and need to be updated.

Planets have huge advantages over empty space, starting with hugeness  :). Planetary habitats would be big, huge ships with huge crews would be preferably built near the planetary trading posts which would have thousands of crew that would regenerate as the station is supplied. (In fact, planetary shuttle amounts may be upgradeable, reducing resupply delay.)

Planetary production chains could be managed by planetary trading posts, it's a nice suggestion idea.

It would cost more (to balance the fact they cannot be ever attacked, only the trading post would, if the trading post is rebuilt the factories get accessible again), they would have the supply delay (so, possible downtime), and the planetary trading post would need a lot of cargo as it gets supplied by all planetary imports and exports (multiple posts with may alleviate - goods would be filtered).

At even bigger scales, when the thousands of crew per few minutes of an ordinary planet isn't big enough, planetary colonization and government would be possible, with the player deciding how much of the population would be enlisted as crewmen, then millions may be ready to enlist in huge colony ships.

Addendum: Also, planetary docking ! The player may not be able to land, but its ships could (if they have enough thrust to fight gravity - maximum gravity escapancy may integrate ship secondary stats... or if the ships were inside others, if ship-to-ship docking is to be a thing). Planetary docking will have two main advantages: securing a ship and cargo within the planet (one'll need to conquer the planet to get the ship) and shore leave (crew will need less pay as they find jobs on the planet, so one may temporarily discard ships when they aren't needed, such as war fleets).

Should open planet interface and manage planet from there.

I didnt really care about planet landings.

Just able for us to design building in planet interface.

You should have said that in the first place. That is something that is most likely able to be done, and I would like to actually see at one point

If planet landing possible. Then why not ?

I dont get it from community who lack of ambition.

Sure i didnt care about planet landings, doesn't mean we should ignore it. Maybe dev capable to implement it ? Why not.

You should have said that in the first place. That is something that is most likely able to be done, and I would like to actually see at one point

Sure i didnt care about planet landings, doesn't mean we should ignore it. Maybe dev capable to implement it ? Why not.

Why not?  When would you like the game release date to be?  Scope creep kills all projects, games or not.  Lets not scope creep.

Why not?  When would you like the game release date to be?  Scope creep kills all projects, games or not.  Lets not scope creep.

use your brain.

this kind of feature are absolutely end project. probably updated after release, or maybe dev capable implement it. then why not.

if they incapable creating planetary landing. its fine.

but with current development.

its freaking impossible.

I've heard depressing stories about Space Engineers' direction after they started introducing a planetfall update from a friend who was a huge, huge fan of the game pre-planet patch. I'd hate to see Avorion go a similar way.

While I do think the concept of physically being able to go to planets is super cool, I personally don't see Avorion as the game where you want that happening in.

I agree with you, Hellatze, that if this is ever implemented, it would be a super super end-game project: but honestly, I think a project on the scale of adding a whole new playing field to the game like planets is something that's more apt for a sequel game or a massive sequelite expansion pack on the scale of a whole new game.

However, your point about implementing a simple UI interface like it were a Station, that I can see happening. Easily. I mean, in essence, it just is another Station but with some fluff to make it seem and feel like a planet. That shouldn't be too hard and ideas mentioned by others in this thread I like, too. Stuff like shore leave and mothballing your ship on a planet for storage and safekeeping sounds fun. Empire management becomes more interesting when planets get involved.

But yes, like you, I go starry-eyed when planets come into mind. I always remember the feeling of using a Planet Buster in Spore. So cool. So... devastating. xD

I mean, imagine building Star Killer Base from Star Wars VII and using it against your enemies' planets. Now that is some space game power fantasy right there.

I'd like to see galactic wars with planets as the stakes; planets abandoned or lain waste to; planets as a safe haven, a sanctuary, or a neutral place of trade and togetherness (like Babylon 5).

But first, I'd like to see some AI with proper pathfinding, fleet mechanics and a more properly balanced economy. Then let's talk planets. ;)

I didnt really demand planet landing but saying planet landing actually possible to implement.

And for space engineer. I predict the game will fail a year ago, when i see develipment used too much "bugfix" and rarely implement feature. They dissapoint me too much, when they add tbat crappy planet. I am not suprised, they didnt care about their game in fist place. Even when i got protest, i got banned.

just like this game, except moderator in space engineer ade active.

I have prediction this game are doomed.

And cant escape early acces probably for 3 years with development this slow. Maybe time are plenty for them.

Gonna throw in my two cents here.

I don't want Avorion to have planet landings, but I do think functional planets would be a good idea to implement in some way. Like an import/export or embassy station and colonization efforts that can be planned out similarly to Stellaris and other 4X games.

Permanent resource mines and risk of orbital bombardment and troop landings, perhaps, so long as the actual planetside stuff isn't represented in the game itself but rather in a simple UI window. Treat it like boarding incidents or something. The only "physical" planet interaction I'd like to see is planets being given a proper hitbox and a guaranteed death if you try to land a ship on one. Spaceships of Avorion's scale aren't meant for landing - leave that for the cargo shuttles and fighters.

It would help make the universe feel much larger than it currently does.

The awful trut that avorion still not finished after theese year.

Avorion was released on Steam on January 23rd, 2017. Yes, it has been in early access for about a year. What's wrong with that? Minecraft was in early access for like 2 years.

I've heard depressing stories about Space Engineers' direction after they started introducing a planetfall update from a friend who was a huge, huge fan of the game pre-planet patch. I'd hate to see Avorion go a similar way.

the SE devs themselves also said making a planet is impossible and not performance friendly, but they did it, although it means it is now only restricted to 64bit systems :P, and still have some performance issues, but I can say that it is quite impressive for such a feat.

Now they need to work on the survival aspect a lot more, already sent some suggestions about it, for example multiple "sectors" like avorion, optional end game boss fight, quests that you can pick up from stations that you can find, neutral/friendly npcs, but obvoiusly they all need plenty of time.

the SE devs themselves also said making a planet is impossible and not performance friendly, but they did it, although it means it is now only restricted to 64bit systems :P, and still have some performance issues, but I can say that it is quite impressive for such a feat.

Now they need to work on the survival aspect a lot more, already sent some suggestions about it, for example multiple "sectors" like avorion, optional end game boss fight, quests that you can pick up from stations that you can find, neutral/friendly npcs, but obvoiusly they all need plenty of time.

starmade made planet before SE. and they are performance friendly.

nothing new. really. SE need to focus adding feature and less this "bugfix" who actually a lie.

I've always liked K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

This game is a space game, and I get how planets add to a space game. But I think could be better implemented as a menu thing. How planets sometimes appear as backdrop? Well, perhaps special planetary transit stations appear with them, to open a different sort of interface. Maybe crazy cheap minerals and specialized goods. But full landings? There's already a ton of crafting games that craft on the ground... Avorion does Space, and does it well. Keep it simple.

But just think of the scale of what you're proposing, on a game that has a rather small (but dedicated) developing team. I want them to stay dedicated, so we all keep seeing enjoyable, realistic results. Adding random planets? With enough content to be fun? I don't think it'd add anything to the experience that is Avorion. Keep developing the space stuff, that's where the meat of this game is.

Just my opinion tho.

Honestly, the devs could implement some planetary landings and all of that jazz.

But here is the thing.

The game can have a ship the size of a planet.

But if you have a planet it will take a way probably a lot of resources not to mention time and effort to program all that in for virtually some thing that boils down to "Just another station."

Or just simply a big hunk a junk with loads of space where there is nothing useful to do.

The question is not, why didn't the devs make planets available.

The question is why should they bother spending so much effort on something that adds little value to the overall game.

However to add more food for thought consider some of the load times when entering sectors.

Then consider how much worse that would be if you added fully randomised procedurally generated planets to them.

Then consider how many of those planets you'd actually take advantage of, out of the hundreds that you would run into.

And finally also remember if you add any mining mechanic to the planets that would fully break and undermine the resource scarcity that is currently used to push players closer to the centre.

If you add financial taxation and colonisation that would add a lot of micro to the game as well as way too easy money ways to get money.

Instead those players will have less motivation to move towards the centre as they can just harvest them local planets.

In my opinion much like X3 planets are currently in the best position they can be.

In the background, looking pretty, adding a feeling of grander scale showing where people live but not actually being needed as the game provides plenty of its worth through other measures.

We had the same argument in X3 and that game is very similar.

That game released in 2005.

And besides, it adds some more realism to the origin of all these patrols that just "spawn into existence".

As if they came from the planet to the sector etc.

I don't know that's just my take on it.

And don't talk to me about creativity or vision. I myself have always been on the "omg cool planet landings" train. That train of thought died after all the recent games that feature it and have literally nothing interesting on the planets. They are just big hunks of boring, even if you sprinkle some stuff here and there.

All they do is look pretty and that can be done from space without requiring addition functionalities or wasting my cpu on features I and probably a lot of players wouldn't be using all the time.

ps. I agree with K.I.S.S